Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Verizon LTE internet uses ghost data
scottiedogluvr2

I'm so sick of this!  It's been going on for months now.  We've been through 3 routers and one outside cantenna and nothing seems to help with the ghost data.

Some months we have no problems at all and stay way under our 30 gb cap.  But, lately we've been blowing through data and most of it's being used in the middle of the night when none of us are awake  Big chunks of data are being used.

Oh the timing on the data is in Greenwich time.

It's only 2 of us in the house.  No kids.  We don't stream any movies.  We only use our computers to surf the internet, play games, do email, Facebook, etc.  Nothing outrageous.

We have NO choice to, but to use Verizon as our internet because we live out in the country.  Rumor has it that Charter is coming out to our subdivison in a few months.  You can bet that we are ditching Verizon internet at that time.

I swear they do this on purpose to screw you! 

We are always going into a Verizon store to whine and complain and they act oblivious.  No help!

When it gets close to our cap, I've had to go to the library to use the internet.  That's pretty sad!

Our bill resets on the 23 of the month. So far, we've used 12 gb of data.  Theres' no freaking way!  There's been some months we haven't even used 16 or 17 gb. 

So, we are going back to Verizon again this weekend to see if we can get some action.

My hubby is going to threaten the with a class action law suit.  LOL

We are tired of being screwed each month!

Anyone else with a similar issue?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Verizon LTE internet uses ghost data
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Exceeding the data plan when you are doing all you can do to keep it in check is also a a concern of mine. What device are you using? Are you using it with a Mac or PC?

Do you power the device off after each use? Has the password been shared with anyone at all?

We will get to the bottom of this.
TamaraH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Leader
Leader

> I swear they do this on purpose to screw you!

While that belief may help you to cope with your situation there isn't any evidence posted to support this claim yet.  High data usage has been a problem ever since Verizon started offering data connections on there devices and there still isn't any good way for people to visualize or clearly understand what is happening.

What is hard to understand is that data usage is not related to what you are actively doing or aware of.  Data usage is a reflection of the communication that is happening between your Verizon device and the Verizon network.  Communication from your VZW device is forwarded from your personal machines that are requesting or responding to something from the internet. 

The only way to see data leaks in action is to setup and maintain data monitors.  Newer mobile devices like smartphones and tablets come with built in data usage monitors which makes it easier.  Win10 and newer OSs come with better tools but still haven't really tackled data monitoring yet (often relying on 3rd party software to cover that for them).  However, laptops, desktop and "smart" devices like TV, thermostats, media centers and anything else network connected generally don't have any kind of default monitoring system because they aren't built with the concept of a metered internet connection.

> Our bill resets on the 23 of the month. So far, we've used 12 gb of data.  Theres' no freaking way!

Its very possible to consume multiple GB of data within a single hour.  It all depends on your network speed and what is going on at the time. 

> My hubby is going to threaten the with a class action law suit.  LOL

Class Actions have been threatened on the forums since the dawning of time.  Yet very rarely if ever do they happen (ex: https://www.verizonfspclassaction.com/Home.aspx) .  Your contract actually has strong wordage against CALs so threats aren't likely to intimidate anyone without some kind of game changing evidence of foul play.  IANAL but if you want to wave the CAL wand around I suggest you bring something interesting to the table.

> Anyone else with a similar issue?

You can search the forums here for countless issues with data usage.  Yet the vast majority of them go nowhere because no one is willing or able to do the work to prove a problem by setting up and documenting the problem with a data usage monitor. VZW holds the cards in this scenario, they wont release the actual data usage records proving what happened without a court order to do so.

John_Getzke
Leader
Leader
0 Likes
Weth
Sr. Leader

I Have personally investigated as a favor several friends and family with similar concerns.  In each case, the data use was real.  Varied from not understanding how much data is used on streaming to background updates, to infected computers now relaying data. 

Have you done basic steps?  Turn off everything when they are not used, all computers and the router?  Have you set your PCs wifi connection to be a metered connection?

vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

scottiedogluvr2,

I certainly get your concern to see so much data being used and not be sure what is using it. That would concern me as well. What times are showing on this data usage? Each data cycle can last up to 6 hours which could explain some of the late night usage. The time that shows is when the data period ended and it shows any data used between that time and the time listed before that. So for example if the time shown is 1:00 AM but the time before that is 7:00 PM, the data is anything used between 7:00 PM and 1:00 AM. That can lead to some times that seem late.

Have you checked out our data utilization tool? http://vz.to/1wb0QNv That provides a great picture of what is using your data and can be a great help.

AndrewT_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Weth
Sr. Leader

You will need to set up tools on your mac and PC and reset data counters on your phones and do some observation on which device is using the data. One of them is using the data and it is being reported late. If you do not know how to set up the tools on the devices to record data use, do you have someone you know that is a bit techy that can set the tools up for you? I guarantee you will find the data being used will be very close to what is being reported. You just cannot go by the exact times as VZW indicated. Once you find what computer is using the data, then you can pinpoint what program is using it and make changes to stop it. Did you change the wifi settings to metered data - that can be an important step.

Ghost data is just like reporting human ghosts - doesn't really happen. It is explained in a much better objective way.

0 Likes
scottiedogluvr2

I find the whole thing frustrating.  I don't really understand what's going on, but thanks for helping me understand a bit better.  No, we aren't doing any lawsuit.  When you get upset and frustrated you lash out with something like that.  I don't understand though how we can blow through so much data some months and some months we hardly use any.  We don't change our habits.  We use our computers fairly consistently from day to day...same way each month. 

0 Likes
scottiedogluvr2

We've not done a metered connection.  How does one do that?

0 Likes
Weth
Sr. Leader
0 Likes