Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
What do I do to enable remote desktop connectivity using Windows 8 pro?
aslaksonal

With a laptop connected by WiFi and another computer via an ethernet port, trying to initiate a remote desktop connection from the laptop can't find the other computer. Plus, there's a video server running on that other computer, and the client on the laptop can't see it. Both of these functions work on a different router. FWIW, the laptop CAN see the other computer and the hard drives on it as network devices.

Is there a setting on the Version BRV that will enable these two functions, or is the router just crippled in that respect?

al

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Re: Broadband Router with Voice - What do I do to enable remote desktop connectivity using Windows 8 pro?
7e18n1

Just to reiterate, you have two computers connected to your BRV and you cannot use Microsoft Remote Desktop between them, but they do see each other and are networked together, correct?

If YES, Remote Desktop should work. The likely reason is Privacy Separation is checked (uncheck and restarted the router after you save settings). The next thing to try is remove Wi-Fi from the equation, connect both computers via Ethernet cable and restart the router. Finally, reset the router.

Remote internet access to security systems fail because Verizon Wireless devices do not have a public facing IP address and are otherwise blocked from direct access to the internet. However, internet access is not required to use Microsoft Remote Desktop between two computers on the same private network.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Broadband Router with Voice - What do I do to enable remote desktop connectivity using Windows 8 pro?
7e18n1

Possibly ... On the Wi-Fi page, “Wi-Fi Privacy Separation”

Have you reset the BRV using the master reset button?

Does it work with both computers connected via Ethernet?

0 Likes
aslaksonal

Privacy separation doesn't change anything whether on or off.

Have not reset router - a chat with a Verizon tech didn't suggest that.Will try it.

Have not (yet) connected both via cable. Will try that.

My guess is that the router just won't work the way I want - same as it doesn't support security systems and other stuff like that. Gonna have to fine a workaround or alternate approach.

al

0 Likes
7e18n1

Just to reiterate, you have two computers connected to your BRV and you cannot use Microsoft Remote Desktop between them, but they do see each other and are networked together, correct?

If YES, Remote Desktop should work. The likely reason is Privacy Separation is checked (uncheck and restarted the router after you save settings). The next thing to try is remove Wi-Fi from the equation, connect both computers via Ethernet cable and restart the router. Finally, reset the router.

Remote internet access to security systems fail because Verizon Wireless devices do not have a public facing IP address and are otherwise blocked from direct access to the internet. However, internet access is not required to use Microsoft Remote Desktop between two computers on the same private network.

0 Likes