Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Why Is There A Sudden Data Surge On My Hotspot?
trailblazer13

I have a 40GB plan for our phones, ipad and the hotspot.  Within one week of the new billing period, I had a notice that my data was up.  I assumed this was from one of the phones that has only 2GB allowed per family base.  I was shocked to check and find out that it was my hotspot that had used 56GB+ in only ONE WEEK!!!  The normal use is 10GB and high had been 15 during unusual circumstances.   I tried calling but finally had to use chat to discuss with Verizon.  I'm told I won't have to pay for the overage, but meanwhile my account is under the "protect"  which is restricting the data for all of my devices to a snail's pace.  It is taking forever to get my email, and I cannot work from home under these conditions.  Basically, I am held captive because of their mistake!  I/m paying hundreds of dollars and can't use anything but voice and text right now for another 2.5 weeks.   I'm over it and ready to change carriers.  Has anyone else had this problem?  I need my fair share of data that I pay for.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Re: Sudden Data surge on my hotspot! Help me get my data back
joey2007ua64
Novice

Have you looked at the data counters on the devices that connect to your mobile hotspot.  Each of my computers use at least 25GB a month just browsing the internet on my home fiber connection.  Have you set up the connected devices so that they know they are connected to a mobile hotspot instead of unmetered Wi-Fi?

On Windows 8 through 10 you can set the hotspot as metered connection.

metered.png

Here is an example for connected android devices.

Jetpack limit data use

View solution in original post

joey2007ua64
Novice

Have you looked at the data counters on the devices that connect to your mobile hotspot.  Each of my computers use at least 25GB a month just browsing the internet on my home fiber connection.  Have you set up the connected devices so that they know they are connected to a mobile hotspot instead of unmetered Wi-Fi?

On Windows 8 through 10 you can set the hotspot as metered connection.

metered.png

Here is an example for connected android devices.

Jetpack limit data use

Ann154
MVP MVP
MVP

Can you use the Family Base subscription to restrict the amount of data allowed on the hotspot as well?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Weth
Sr. Leader

Usually when you see this, a PC is doing updating and can download large update files over a rather short period of time. There are certainly other causes. The setting of the wifi connection to a metered connection is an excellent idea by Joey2007ua_64

0 Likes
trailblazer13

yes, I have never needed it though.  This was totally something wrong within the system. I will make sure it can't happen again, following the great suggestions on this forum but it isn't helping me now. 

0 Likes
trailblazer13

thank you for your suggestions!

0 Likes
Ann154
MVP MVP
MVP

There was a Windows 10 update recently so it wouldn't surprise me if that was the major usage reason.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Ann154
MVP MVP
MVP

Unless the hotspot is your only option for Internet access at home, the Jetpack and mifi devices are not designed for 24/7 Internet service. If you work from home, you should look at a landline based Internet service.