Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Why do I see data usage when I haven't used my jetpack?
tfirma

I just got my jetpack and activated it yesterday.   Of course I had to briefly connect to the network to register, but I disconnected and saw there was 4MB of usage.      I definitely was no longer connected - and a few hours later it was up to 9MB of usage.   Today it's at 15MB usage.    I'm definitely not using the network - there are no connected devices in the display.... How would the jetpack use data when not connected to by one of my devices?   Software updates?      Seems sketchy that even sitting dormant, my data plan is slowly being eaten away....

Thanks

Tom

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Re: How is there usage of data when I haven't even used my jetpack yet?
John_Getzke
Leader
Leader

As long as the Jetpack is powered online it is vulnerable to consume data from your own or other personal devices.  The only way to completely stop data usage is to power down the Jetpack, which is why we often advise only powering on the Jetpack for a short session and then powering off when complete.

Its true that billing can be delayed.  The delay depends on your environment and the arrangements that VZW has made with the local tower owners.  Sometimes the reporting is accurate to the hour, sometimes its a few hours late and some times it can be a day or more behind (as in extended service areas).  Data usage is inventoried according to when VZW receives and processes the data, not directly when it was consumed by the Jetpack itself.

However in most full 4G LTE coverage areas where VZW owns the towers the reporting is fairly reliable.  If the Jetpack is powered off and you continue to consume data according to the VZW records then contact VZW for a correction.  There may be a mistake somewhere that they can correct or credit back to your account.  The key to getting a response from VZW is to power down the Jetpack though.  If the Jetpack is on then its fair game for data consumption as there are many more excuses for data leaks that are out of VZWs hands.

View solution in original post

Snn5
Sr. Leader

If it is on, it's connected to Verizon's data network.  You don't even have to use, just have it on.  This is normal though.  Phones do the same thing.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

tfirma,

We understand that being charged for data that you are not using can be frustrating. Let's review all the details. Is the jetpack turned on still or is it currently off? If the device is off the device will still connect to the network. Please advise we are here to help.
JasperM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
tfirma

Hello!

You wrote "If the device is off the device will still connect to the network."    Did you mean to write that?   If my device is OFF it still connects to the network?    I'm hoping you meant "on" instead of "off".

Either way - are you saying that Yes, there WILL be usage of the device, even though I'm not actively using it???  And if so, WHAT is this usage?   This seems awfully strange - HOw much phantom usage, approximately, should I expect.  So far - it has used about 10MB in one day.    Does that mean that in one month there will be 300MB of phantom usage??

Thank you

Tom

0 Likes
Snn5
Sr. Leader

Refer to my first post. 

0 Likes
tfirma

Your "first post" is a bit nonsensical.   You don't really answer the question at all.   But thanks for trying!

0 Likes
Snn5
Sr. Leader

If the device is off, it won't use data. If it is on, it uses data.  Makes sense to me.

0 Likes
Snn5
Sr. Leader

Reporting times for data use are not real time not live. You use data and then it is reported hours later.

0 Likes
7e18n1

Which Jetpack? If your Jetpack is off, it is not connected to the network or using data. If data usage is reported while your device is off, it means Verizon finally got around to reporting data usage while the device was on. Allow 24 to 48 hours for all cells to report data usage if the Jetpack is off.

Network devices exchange data between each other. This is sometimes referred to as network overhead and typically uses less than 4 KB an hour. It’s also possible your device did a firmware update which should be less than 30 MB and your Jetpack should show some indication of it besides data usage.

MrStacy

Snn5... I would not say that is normal. 

0 Likes