Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring your phone. Plus, get the incredible iPhone 13 Pro on us. Online only. With select 5G Unlimited plans. Ends 12.5. Buy now
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
***Announcement: Early next week, we’ll be merging the current Fios and Wireless Communities into the all new Verizon Community! Beginning the evening of Sunday 12/4, both Communities will be placed in read-only mode. You’ll still be able to visit the Communities and browse content, but login will be disabled. On the afternoon of Monday 12/5, all users will be able to log into the new Verizon Community. We expect the new Community to be fully functional the morning of Friday 12/9. Additional details can be found in the Announcements board and under Featured Topics!
Why does Verizon Home Phone sometimes go directly to voice mail?
kf888

My elderly mother has Home Phone. I need to call and check on her multiple times a day. Sometimes when I call her, the call goes directly to voice mail.  I re-attempt the call and it happens over and over - goes directly to voice mail.  Later I will ask if she was on the phone and she says no, that the phone never rang.  I have had this happen and then drove an hour to her house and stood right next to her phone and called with my cell phone (also verizon) and it goes to voice mail and her phone doesn't ring.  At that point, if she uses her phone to make an outgoing call, it starts working correctly and incoming calls ring again. 

By searching here on the forum, I see others have had this problem too.  The only answer I have seen is that the device is too far away from a window and not getting a signal.  But hers is getting a signal and I am also able to use my verizon cell phone standing at the same location.  How can I fix this?  I can't keep calling neighbors to go check on her...

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Why does Verizon Home Phone sometimes go directly to voice mail?
7e18n1

You should be aware that the most reliable telephone service is wired to the local telephone company.

Have you talked to Customer Service (800) 922-0204 about the problem?

kf888

Yes, Mom called customer service a couple months ago and was on the phone for over an hour while they "checked" her line and could find nothing wrong.

I called again today, but they would not give me any help unless I was calling *from* her phone.  They act like they have never heard of such a problem when there are at least 5 other posts here on this forum about the very same situation. I'm sure plenty of other people have called them to report this.

And this incident today does not instill confidence:  I started a "chat" with customer service online and  I was logged in as me, with my phone number, not Mom's. So I explained the situation and the person said that she was looking at my account and the problem is that I had call forwarding activated.  Oh, really?  That is the problem?  Well, my phone is working OK.  It is my mother's phone that is not ringing.  (Although who knows, maybe I am missing calls too and don't even realize it.)

I may just have to dump Verizon Home Phone and get her (and me) a landline.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

We know how important it is to ensure your mothers home phone connect is working properly at all times kf888. We certainly do not want you to rely on having to call her neighbors to check on her. Let's get to the bottom of her home phone connect concerns. When did issues with calls going to voicemail start? Have you verified call forwarding may not have been enabled by accident? To ensure call forwarding is disabled on the home phone connect simply dial *73, press send and wait for confirmation beeps/message. Once you hear the confirmation you can end the call. Also, to ensure there are no known service issues in the area, can you please provide us with the zip code the home phone connect is in? 

Thank You,

MichelleS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
kf888

Call forwarding is not activated.  She has had Home Phone Connect for a little over 3 years and this problem started - very occasionally - perhaps a year after she got it. The first few times, you don't realize what is wrong.  It has only been in the last 6 months or so that it has become frequent enough that it is clearly not some odd glitch, but a real issue.  Now it has happened three times in two days. It has never been this bad.

This evening it happened again.  I called Verizon Customer Service in the hopes that *while* it was actually not working, they could find the problem.  The guy I talked to put me on hold for a while as he called her phone and confirmed that it rang a couple times and went to voice mail.  He then said he was going to check the service in the area, etc, etc. and when he came back he said we should bring the device into a Verizon store and get it replaced.  He said that perhaps they would replace it free ... or I might be charged for an "upgrade", it is up to the store.  It was not clear if this "upgrade" would commit me to additional Home Phone Connect service.  I am not interested in paying for a new receiver and am certainly not going to commit to any time contract when I can't be sure it will even work.  I will go to the store this week and report back.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Thank you so much for the details of your concern, kf888. Our goal is to ensure that your mom is able to use her home phone exactly the way that she needs to. We appreciate you checking to ensure that call forwarding is not activated. Allow us to perform some advanced troubleshooting to resolve the issue of the calls going directly to voice mail. After all, we do not want her to be charged for an upgrade unnecessarily if the issue is service or warranty related. We have sent you a private message to request some information. If you can reply back with the info then we can continue. We're looking forward to hearing from you.

ArnettH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
luny22

Did you ever get this resolved?  I've been having same issue with my elderly mom's Home Phone for a few months.

0 Likes
kf888

luny22 - At the Verizon store, they finally agreed to replace her Home Phone box (She had to pay $10 to put it on a warranty plan for one month and they gave her a new one).  I don't think it has happened since, but how can you really know for sure? 

But now my *own* Home Phone is doing the same thing.  That is why I came back to check this topic.  I am on the phone with Verizon customer service right now and they are completely reactivating/reprogramming the phone.  I don't know if that will fix it; only time will tell.

Luckily my Mom now has a regular cell phone that she has agreed to keep turned on all the time so that I can get through if the home phone does not work.  Ridiculous that Verizon Home Phone is so unreliable that you have to have two phones!

0 Likes
avamale

mine was doing the same thing. Seems during the COVID19 affair some phones got switched to DO not disturb. To deactivate try Star 84 and see if that works, it did for mine

0 Likes