Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Why doesn't my new jetpack have the same signal stregnth as my old one?
DiplomatDave

Just received an AC791L Netgear/Verizon Jetpack.  It does not seem to have the same sensitivity to the WAN signal (Verizon 4G network) as the 4620L that it replaced.

Also, it does not have the same signal strength on the LAN side.  i.e. devices lose their connection to the AC791L at much shorter distances than they did with the 4620L.  Yes, the AC791L is set to "Long" or "High" power.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Re: Signal strength
7e18n1

You can use an external antenna from Netgear, AntennaGear, or 3Gstore and the TP-Link MR3040 can work if not using the Pepwave. You might be able to improve Wi-Fi by using channel 1, 6 or 11 since one end or the middle usually works better. Other than that I think you’re at the mercy of a firmware update to address the issues. Unfortunately, if history is any indication, that might take a while.

Call Customer Service (800) 922-0204 to file a complaint so they are aware of it.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

DiplomatDave, that is not the kind of experience we want you to have with your Verizon Wireless device. Let's work on getting a better signal strength to your device. Are you using a new sim card for the new device or is it the same sim card from your old device? What kind of devices are you trying to connect to the AC791L? Please keep me posted.

KevinR_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @WSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
DiplomatDave

New AC791L and SIM card replacing old 4620L Jetpack and SIM card.  All else the same.  Connecting devices from a pool of 2 Windows laptops, 2 Android smart phones, and one Android tablet - not all at the same time. 

We use a wireless router (PEPWAVE SOHO) to extend the LAN coverage here in the house but we take the Jetpack with us in the motor home.  The 4620L always worked flawlessly in the motor home without needing the wireless router due to the motor home's smaller footprint compared to the residence.  Based on what I'm seeing so far, it's doubtful that the AC791L has the ability to provide LAN coverage throughout the entire motor home. 

Also, the lower sensitivity to the WAN signal will be problematic in the motor home when traveling through areas with lower signal strength.

0 Likes
7e18n1

You can use an external antenna from Netgear, AntennaGear, or 3Gstore and the TP-Link MR3040 can work if not using the Pepwave. You might be able to improve Wi-Fi by using channel 1, 6 or 11 since one end or the middle usually works better. Other than that I think you’re at the mercy of a firmware update to address the issues. Unfortunately, if history is any indication, that might take a while.

Call Customer Service (800) 922-0204 to file a complaint so they are aware of it.

0 Likes