Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Why is my MiFi 4510L going dormant while still having a green light?
antioch01

Have to reboot to run again. Will the card out of this unit work on any other WiFi units or do I have to buy another 4510L?

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Re: I have a MiFi 4510L and it is erratically going dormant while still having a green light.
John_Getzke
Leader
Leader

Dormancy is a feature that is built into all Jetpack devices.  It is not a defect that needs to be corrected, rather it is an indication that something may be wrong with your actual connection with the towers.  All devices will go dormant after a device stops sending or receiving data for a determined amount of time.  Devices will go in and out of dormancy as frequently as is needed so long as the Jetpack is performing like normal.

The green light is a status tool similar to the dormancy status message.  When the LED light is steady green on certain models that means there is no data being transferred.  Once data starts transferring again the LED should blink Green accordingly.  This should be the case for early MiFi 4510L models.  The later models I believe constantly blink Green and the LED is not as helpful for troubleshooting.

The SIM on a MiFi 4510L is a normal full sized SIM and can be swapped with other Jetpacks of the same kind.  You need to be careful not to consider swapping with a Jetpack that uses a Micro SIM card such as the 4620L.

Again, dormancy is normal and expected with all Jetpack models.  You should be taking proper precautions and making a habit out of powering down your MiFi when it is not in use.  This will help keep your signal with the local towers fresh and active when you actually need to use it. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: I have a MiFi 4510L and it is erratically going dormant while still having a green light.
John_Getzke
Leader
Leader

Dormancy is a feature that is built into all Jetpack devices.  It is not a defect that needs to be corrected, rather it is an indication that something may be wrong with your actual connection with the towers.  All devices will go dormant after a device stops sending or receiving data for a determined amount of time.  Devices will go in and out of dormancy as frequently as is needed so long as the Jetpack is performing like normal.

The green light is a status tool similar to the dormancy status message.  When the LED light is steady green on certain models that means there is no data being transferred.  Once data starts transferring again the LED should blink Green accordingly.  This should be the case for early MiFi 4510L models.  The later models I believe constantly blink Green and the LED is not as helpful for troubleshooting.

The SIM on a MiFi 4510L is a normal full sized SIM and can be swapped with other Jetpacks of the same kind.  You need to be careful not to consider swapping with a Jetpack that uses a Micro SIM card such as the 4620L.

Again, dormancy is normal and expected with all Jetpack models.  You should be taking proper precautions and making a habit out of powering down your MiFi when it is not in use.  This will help keep your signal with the local towers fresh and active when you actually need to use it. 

0 Likes
antioch01

Thanks for the info. The reason I was concerned is the unit use to stay on all the time unless I shut it down,,, a few weeks ago it started going dormant sometimes in the middle of use and any time it was not in use for some time, and not always the same length of time. Sometimes it will flash the amber light and sometimes the green light stays steady. If the flashing amber light is on I can push the button and it will establish communication. If the steady green light is on (and signal is indicated) it will establish communication as soon as I open the laptop. If the steady green light is on (and no signal indication) I have to hold the button for 4 seconds and the amber light will flash and I can then push the button one time and it will establish communication. If I leave the steady green light (with no signal indicator) it will not establish communication on its own,, even though the laptop is looking for it.Like I said,, this is way different than it has always worked for the last three years. Just do not understand why. If the unit is not the issue, is it possible the tower is sending a signal to shutdown ??? This new method of operating started while we were in North Carolina and has continued here in Florida, so I do not suspect a local tower. It seems to me it should go dormant and recover the same way every time.

0 Likes
antioch01

It went into a flashing amber light while I was writing this reply to you. Very aggravating !!!!

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Leader
Leader

LED light guide can be found on page 5 of the MiFi 4510L User Guide:

http://cache.vzw.com/multimedia/mim/mifi_4510_hotspot/4510_manual.pdf

You should not leave your Jetpack on 24/7.  Your prolonged use of the device without shutting it down has most likely taken its toll on the hardware and now the device has lost its ability to perform as expected.  The best thing you can do is start building the habit of powering on and off the device only as needed. There is no way to undo the damage to the device is this is the cause of the problem.  All you can do is swap the device for a newer one or hope that there is a temporary problem in your area that will get resolved for you.

There are better devices for a 24/7 connection such as USB modems, 4G LTE router or VZW Home Fusion.  Jetpacks are travel devices and should not be left powered on any longer than necessary to preserve their functionality.

0 Likes
antioch01

I do need the travel option and will shut down the unit from now on. Are there any better Jetpacks available that this sim card will work in ? I need 3G and 4G capability, global is not as much of a concern. If I buy another Jetpack can I just swap the sim card and use it ?

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Leader
Leader

I don't have a list of all the compatible Jetpacks in regards to the SIM.  You will have to contact VZW and have them check for you or stop by a store and see their selection.

If you can find a Jetpack that accepts the normal sized SIM card then you can swap and plug it into the new one.  Just make sure you register the SIM with VZW and update your account info.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

antioch01, thanks for these details. The next step to troubleshoot this issue would be to change the sim card. The sim card is what connects that device to our network. For your convenience, you can obtain a new sim card for any of our local stores. Click here for the closest location http://vz.to/1h3etAK

LasinaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes