Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring your phone. Plus, get the incredible iPhone 13 Pro on us. Online only. With select 5G Unlimited plans. Ends 12.5. Buy now
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
***Announcement: Early next week, we’ll be merging the current Fios and Wireless Communities into the all new Verizon Community! Beginning the evening of Sunday 12/4, both Communities will be placed in read-only mode. You’ll still be able to visit the Communities and browse content, but login will be disabled. On the afternoon of Monday 12/5, all users will be able to log into the new Verizon Community. We expect the new Community to be fully functional the morning of Friday 12/9. Additional details can be found in the Announcements board and under Featured Topics!
Will network extender work with apple router
michsunshine

Will my Verizon Network extender work with my Airport Extreme Apple Router?

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Re: Will network extender work with apple router
Billy5575

The short answer to question is Yes.  The longer answer is the Apple Router began a few months ago to cause interference with cell transmission through the Verizon network extender. A long saga ensured.... here's the story. 

For a couple of years, the Verizon wireless network extender worked with the Apple router (new tower model- time capsule, with back up disk).  Then several months ago with no new devices added at home, cell transmission quality (same iphone 5s)  declined. Voice to recipient was choppy and broken. I could hear fine on my end.

Windstream provides my broadband service and they made four trips to correct various Windstream related problems but poor cell cell service continued.  Windstream installed a new modem that includes a built in router. I first just continued using the Apple router and Apple’s wifi network.

The problem continued. So turned on wifi on new Windstream Modem/wifi  and plugged the network extender into the new Windstream modem/router combo device….. It worked fine for a couple of days then poor cell phone transmission quality returned.   We finally unplugged the Apple router completely and cell quality was good…plugging in the Apple Time Capsule and unplugging it went on for several days…. NO doubt, it was the Apple router causing interference.

I established an additional 5GHz wireless network on the apple router, and connected my  cell’s wifi to the 5GHz wireless network  and the interference with the cell service ended. Yes, I know that the cell signal goes through the Verizon wireless extended network (the Verizon mini tower) and it theoretically should not make a difference. All I can tell you, cell service now works. if my cell phone picks up the 2.5 GHz Apple wireless network, the interference resumes with all voice communication…… It also continues if I use the Windstream router wifi network …… if the Apple router is plugged into the Windstream router via ethernet.  (I wanted to leave it plugged in because the Time Capsule is my auto backup device for my laptop. 

I am not a tech person but  clearly the Apple router is causing interference but (for now it’s resolved) by connecting wireless devices to the 5GHz network rather than the 2.5GHz network. Yeah, it’s confusing.

BTW… I tried moving the apple router  far from the modem and Verizon extender  but that did not solve interference issue….. Interference is eliminated only when  the 5GHz network serves all devices (phone, laptop, iPad).   Maybe someone reading this that is far more tech savvy can offer a better explanation of what is going on…. but for now my cell phone again works as it should and I’m still able to use the Apple Time Capsule as a back up device (albeit an expense backup approach). 

I hope someone else can solve this mystery of conflicts.

View solution in original post

MiiHere
Leader

This is a couple years old, but might be worth a read:

Configure Airport Extreme for a Verizon Network... | Apple Support Communities

You'll get the most definitive answer by calling or having a chat session with Verizon directly or at least I hope you will.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

I want to make sure that your Network Extender works michsunshine! You should be able to connect to your router. Here are some FAQ http://spr.ly/6581B6qHD that might be able to assist.Do you have any of these http://spr.ly/6582B6qHE routers?   Do you have the extender with you?

AmberF_VZW Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Billy5575

The short answer to question is Yes.  The longer answer is the Apple Router began a few months ago to cause interference with cell transmission through the Verizon network extender. A long saga ensured.... here's the story. 

For a couple of years, the Verizon wireless network extender worked with the Apple router (new tower model- time capsule, with back up disk).  Then several months ago with no new devices added at home, cell transmission quality (same iphone 5s)  declined. Voice to recipient was choppy and broken. I could hear fine on my end.

Windstream provides my broadband service and they made four trips to correct various Windstream related problems but poor cell cell service continued.  Windstream installed a new modem that includes a built in router. I first just continued using the Apple router and Apple’s wifi network.

The problem continued. So turned on wifi on new Windstream Modem/wifi  and plugged the network extender into the new Windstream modem/router combo device….. It worked fine for a couple of days then poor cell phone transmission quality returned.   We finally unplugged the Apple router completely and cell quality was good…plugging in the Apple Time Capsule and unplugging it went on for several days…. NO doubt, it was the Apple router causing interference.

I established an additional 5GHz wireless network on the apple router, and connected my  cell’s wifi to the 5GHz wireless network  and the interference with the cell service ended. Yes, I know that the cell signal goes through the Verizon wireless extended network (the Verizon mini tower) and it theoretically should not make a difference. All I can tell you, cell service now works. if my cell phone picks up the 2.5 GHz Apple wireless network, the interference resumes with all voice communication…… It also continues if I use the Windstream router wifi network …… if the Apple router is plugged into the Windstream router via ethernet.  (I wanted to leave it plugged in because the Time Capsule is my auto backup device for my laptop. 

I am not a tech person but  clearly the Apple router is causing interference but (for now it’s resolved) by connecting wireless devices to the 5GHz network rather than the 2.5GHz network. Yeah, it’s confusing.

BTW… I tried moving the apple router  far from the modem and Verizon extender  but that did not solve interference issue….. Interference is eliminated only when  the 5GHz network serves all devices (phone, laptop, iPad).   Maybe someone reading this that is far more tech savvy can offer a better explanation of what is going on…. but for now my cell phone again works as it should and I’m still able to use the Apple Time Capsule as a back up device (albeit an expense backup approach). 

I hope someone else can solve this mystery of conflicts.

You are a lifesaver!  We have been having the same trouble and every "expert" we've spoken to all say its not the time machine (as router).  I think you are right and it is.... at least with regards to Verizon.  We got a network extender from Verizon, but I'm gonna try getting a new router because I think thats the way to go rather than having extenders everywhere.. thank so so MUCH!

0 Likes
KH-OrnEsh

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes