Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ellipsis screen runs on its own
rigger42

I got a new ellipsis in Nov and within the first month it was driving me crazy because it acts like I am touching the top right section of the screen when nothing is even nearby.

Browser windows close then new ones open, the settings menu opens, the Google voice recognition and search sometimes kick in, etc.

I did troubleshooting with phone support plus factory reset and screen cleaning and removing the case and they finally had me send th e tablet in.

I just got it back and fired it up and it is doing the exact same thing.

Support said they couldn't reproduce the problem but it happened as soon as I opened the default chrome and opened a couple of tabs.

When I closed chrome it still spawned the Google search screen without my involvement - the voice prompt is in that top right section of screen.  At least it seems that the prompts are from that area but I don't know what to do to reliably test the other areas. When I turn the tablet to landscape display I don't seem to have the same issues.

Since support says the problem doesn't exist I don't know what to do. I'm paying for a device I can't use.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: ellipsis screen runs on its own
John_Getzke
Leader
Leader

> I got a new ellipsis in Nov and within the first month it was driving me crazy because it acts like I am touching the top right section of the screen when nothing is even nearby.

This suggests a hardware failure in the device.  I would continue to contact VZW and request replacements under your warranty until the problem is resolved.  If you get two devices with the same flaw then suggest that VZW send you an alternative device instead to prove it is not user error.

Do you have your device in any kind of a protective case or screen protector?  If so then remove them and test with the device as it was originally sent to you out of the box.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Thanks for reaching out to us about your concern rigger42. Let get your tablet working for you again. May I ask is there any physical or liquid damage on the device? Also, as John Getzke stated, do you have a screen protector or case on the tablet? Does the screen issue happen when you are in a certain app or does it happen on all of the menus/apps/settings? As you share the details then we can proceed.

Thank you…

ArnettH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
rigger42

Thank you both for your replies.

There is no damage or fluid exposure....this started as soon as I began

using the tablet out of the box. I initially assumed I had opened too many

tabs in the default chrome browser, which is a definite habit of mine. So

I tried to using fewer tabs, but it can happen with one or two and the

problem extended beyond the browser.

I made sure the app and firmware were updated, then did a reboot and tried

a different browser in case it was a chrome issue. However, i found if i

opened the settings menu which drops from the top of the screen, it would

only take a couple of minutes for it to behave like i was tapping

settings. Then the google microphone would turn on, close, open, then

reopen each time i try to manually close it.when the problems persisted i

called tech support for some troubleshooting and a factory reset then they

finally sent me packing materials to send it in.

I haven't spent much time retesting it since they sent it back - shortly

after i started in chrome, it began again closing active tabs then opening

and closing new ones and the same with the Google search/mic. I'm willing

to go through whatever troubleshooting is needed I just don't know what

else to try. I did an update check and this is a new sim card.

I have no film on the screen or case or tempered glass.

Your help is appreciated.

...my apologies if this shows up twice. I tried to respond in the thread

via my phone without any apparent luck so this post is via email reply.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Oh wow! This is quite interesting. Let's try placing the device into Safe Mode and see if the issues persist. Take a look here to see how and then test http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-88245/. Keep us posted.

AdamG_VZW

0 Likes
rigger42

Thank you.  I didn't realize that answering from my email actually returned an error and I've been so frustrated that I was traveling without the tablet for a while.

I've tested in safe mode and it makes absolutely no difference, unfortunately.  I still get the repeated 'phantom touch' up at the top of the screen, affecting all of the apps and menus.

**editing to clarify -- being in a case or out makes no difference, and there is no glass shield or film.  I've also cleaned the glass without any result.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support
rigger42,

I truly appreciate all that you have done. When you originally factory reset the device did you restore any of the applications back onto the device before testing it out again? If not, please reset the device and temporarily refrain from installing any 3rd party applications before testing.

LindseyT_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes
rigger42

No, I have not installed any programs. I did enable the Gmail login but the

problems started right away after reset. Do you want me to do it again?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support
rigger42

I want to make sure we exhaust all of our troubleshooting steps in order to figure out what our next step will be. I thank you for all that you have done, but would really appreciate if you do the Factory reset once again and restore the table back to factory reset without adding or enabling anything on the tablet http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-88206/ .

JorgeO_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes
rigger42

It still doesn't help and, apparently I am not the only one. 

Screen jump.

At this point i pretty much want to cancel the extra device and get credited back to November. 

0 Likes