Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mobile broadband manager program disappears
vic16

For no reason the Verizon Mobile Broadband Manager program disappears after it has been loaded for a while. However my computer remains connected to the internet.

When I double click on my desktop icon nothing happens.

When I go to Windows Task Manager I see that SmartMobility.exe is loaded and using 50,084K of memory and 02 CPU cycles. When I end that process SmartMobility.exe no longer appears in Windows Task Manager but Firefox still connects to the internet indicating that the modem is still connected.

If I then double click the broadband manager icon the program does not appear on the desktop but SmartMobility.exe once again appears in Windows Task Manager and the computer is still connected to the internet.

When the program disappears from my desktop he only way I can disconnect from the internet is to reboot.

I am running Windows 7 Pro and using the Pantech UML295 modem

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: mobile broadband manager program disappears
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

I understand how frustrating it can be when you experience difficulites with your service vic16. When did this start happening? Are you in a certain location or on a certain desktop when this happens? Have you installed anything new onto your PC when this started?

Thank You,
MichelleS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
vic16

It has been happening intermittently for the past month. It has happened four times since I posted this request for help. I have not added or deleted any programs for the last two months. I am running windows 7 and am current on all MS updates.

0 Likes
vic16

also, is there a way to get an email telling me someone has responded to any of my posts requesting help from this board?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

vic16,

That is definitely odd but I am glad to hear that you are still able to keep your connection. Have access to the manager does help monitor usage and keeps you on track.  Have you tried reinstalling the application back onto  your computer?

Click on link to get started.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-36171/

YareliM_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
vic16

I finally called Verizon technical support, but they were of no help. They said they would turn it over to their engineers to work on the problem.

Meanwhile I found a work-around.

I discovered that when Verizon Broadband Manager disappeared from my desktop that the file “SmartMobility.exe” did not appear in “processes” tab in the Windows Task Manager. However when I rebooted and started Verizon Mobile Broadband Manager from the Start Menu or the desktop icon the file “SmartMobility.exe” did appear in “processes” tab in the Windows Task Manager.

I then created a shortcut on my desktop pointing to the file c:\verizon\verizon mobile broadband manager\smartmobility.exe.

The next time Verizon Mobile Broadband Manager disappeared from my desktop I double clicked on that desktop shortcut and the Verizon Mobile Broadband Manager program reappeared.

I informed technical support of my workaround and how I discovered it. I hope they fix the bug in the program rather than just relying on my workaround as a solution.

After all living in rural Iowa without access to DSL or cable, I am paying Verizon an outrageously high fee for my only available broadband access. My only other viable alternative access to the internet is a dial up connection that tops out at 18K and is often slower.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Vic16,

Thank you for keeping us posted with your findings.  I am glad to hear that you were able to find a work out to assist.  Since the issue was reported to our IT department, I am confident will find a solution for you and keep you posted. I understand how important it is for you to have a wireless connection and cost is a concern. I always like to make sure our customers are set up for wireless success. Check out our Account Analysis link to ensure you are set up for the right plan http://vz.to/1KJWTmr.

YareliM_VZW

0 Likes