Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
what does verizon offer in the way of wireless cameras
usasma

Where can I find a link to wireless cameras that communicate through cellular

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: what does verizon offer in the way of wireless cameras
Ann154
Expert
Expert

I'm not sure there are any that are sold by Verizon Wireless.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
usasma

Thanks Ann!

What I'm interested in is a camera that we can use to monitor horses at a barn once or twice a day.    I'm thinking of a wireless, battery operated (although there is electricity at the barn) camera that communicates via cellular data (as there is no internet service at the property).  I'd also like it to have a night vision function - for checking just before we go to bed.

AT&T offers this, but I'd prefer to stick with Verizon if possible.

Any ideas?

0 Likes
Ann154
Expert
Expert

These are offerings. You would likely need a combination of devices to make it work. The main device that connects to the Verizon Wireless network needs to assigned a public IP address for you to remotely access the cameras. Smart Home – Verizon Wireless

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
usasma
0 Likes
John_Getzke
Leader
Leader

There are a few ways you can do this with Verizon as your carrier.  While it can be done I am not aware of any out of the box service or solution that can do what you want.  You will have to get your hands dirty.

Since Verizon does not directly offer any kind of Web Cam or Security Camera devices you would need to purchase a regular Verizon mobile broadband device such as a Jetpack or USB Modem.  Then you would have to review and purchase a network camera or security system with the features you are looking for.  I do not have any advice on that subject to offer.

The kicker is that once you get your devices picked out you need a way to punch through Verizon's NAT firewall configuration so that your remotely view the content they are capturing.  Otherwise remote access to Verizon broadband devices is blocked by default.  To work around the NAT firewall you need to implement a VPN solution.

To get a VPN tied into your remote access situation you would need a place to install a VPN client and access to a VPN server.  VPN servers can be setup on your own personal machines if you feel like spending the effort or you can purchase access on a VPN server from a service provider.  The problem with the VPN clients is that they need to be installed on something that can support the software.  There are no web or security cams that I am aware of that support a VPN client.  Instead you will have to install the VPN client on a PC on that site and funnel everything through it, or get a router that supports a VPN client.

In my opinion it is easier and more flexible to purchase a Verizon USB modem and a compatible home router.  Various home router models either come with a VPN client or can be modified to support one.  You can search for VPN home router and review the results.  Some general info on the process here: Easy-setup VPN for Router | ExpressVPN

Once you have your VPN server, client, Verizon device and security cameras lined up then you have to network everything together or coordinate multiple network connections.  Hopefully all the cameras that you want are close to eachother or in the same room.  If not then you would have to explore if the WiFi radius of the VPN router can cover them or not, but I would advise using Ethernet Cabling instead.  Then extend your new local network to cover every camera that you want included in your new system. If there is only one camera and you have access to a PC nearby then you can network the Jetpack and the PC together and host the VPN client from there.

Make sure they can talk to eachother over the new LAN and then dial into Verizon through the VPN client and the USB modem so that you can gain remote access to everything.

To recap you need the following minimum components:

- Network connected security cameras

- Network connected Security camera system for recording and other features

- Verizon mobile broadband device (USB Modem or Jetpack)

- VPN Server (on your own PC or as a paid service online)

- VPN Client (for example Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client or the Microsoft VPN client)

- A place to host the VPN Client (VPN router or PC)

- A local network to bind all of your connections together (additional Ethernet cabling, switches, Access Points, etc)

Hope that helps!

usasma

Thanks John!

What about this device?

Arlo Go Mobile Security Camera | Verizon Wireless

The text seems to imply that I won't need any of that stuff.  Am I mistaken?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Being able to keep an eye on your horses is important, usasma. Our community has been very helpful with their suggestions. The Arlo Go Mobile Security Camera will be your best option, as it is 4G capable in itself without requiring additional devices to connect, plus can be used outdoors. This is a fairly new connected device offering, and it would require its own line of service, which can be added by reaching out to our sales professionals at 888-924-7937.

LynnD_VZW Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

John_Getzke
Leader
Leader

I stand corrected.  Verizon does offer a security camera option now, thanks for the link.

The specs suggests this camera automatically connects to the cloud to upload its video content.  This connection will punch through the NAT firewall and eliminate the need for a VPN.

Pros:

- No VPN

- Simple Install

- Smartphone app

- Solar panel charging add-on

Cons:

- Its a bit pricy at $350.00 per camera (+data), scalability may be an issue for some

- Placement of the camera must be in an area of good VZW coverage, indoors may be a problem

- No antenna port for external antennas

- No cables, so battery management may be an issue

- Not a full time recording device, activated on sound or movement for 1, 5 or 30 minutes

usasma

Exactly what I was looking for!  Thanks John!
The Pros/Cons list makes it easier to decide - and it is a bit pricey!

0 Likes