2.1 For Droid Eris
dwright0508

Okay this morning I received the update. It turns out to be 77 mb. Anyway it looks great. All the features they said are there. There is one feature that im still not sure how to use. That is the text to speech. Their is no microphone near the keyboard or anything, so if anyone else can help that would be good. I also am also having a problem with my name card. I want to be able to link it with my Facebook pic, like it was, but it wont ever load and when I try to edit the name card, it just closes. But if anyone wants to see it, I will be putting out a vid by tomorrow. It will probably be on youtube. 

0 Likes
Re: 2.1 For Droid Eris
cgold56

That's great...  I've got 2 questions, if anyone can answer...

1. If I'm already running 2.1 ver 3, is there any need to run the "official" update?

2. If I run the update, will I still need to back up all my files and apps?

0 Likes
dwright0508

cgold56 wrote:

1. If I'm already running 2.1 ver 3, is there any need to run the "official" update?

I am not an expert on this. But what I would do, is install the offical one (just in case). What I did was install the Astro file thing and back it up to my SD. Then I backed up my contacts with google. But for some reason it says they were backed up, but online they are not. Also for some reason like I said my name card wasn't working. 

0 Likes
jayjay1122
Enthusiast - Level 3

cgold56 wrote:

First, I would always back up my phone; contacts, apps, etc...

App Brain is a great tool to back up Apps and can be found in the Market. It syncs to a website and you can access it from your PC as well.

Contacts? I would back them up to Google and ensure that you see matching contact list on both the phone and login and check from your PC as well.

2.1 V3 is a leaked version of the 2.1 Firmware and may or may not be the update but judging by the 30mb size difference in files I would guess there are some obvious differences.

I cannot tell you if you will get the update if you are running a leak, but there will be plenty of places to download the official and install it manually like you did the leak.

0 Likes
cgold56

Thanks... after you updated, were your apps still there, or did you have to re-load them?

0 Likes
dwright0508

Everything was still on there

0 Likes
crankyp

According to VZW support on Twitter, if you have a leaked version you will still receive the update.  And you don't lose your apps or caches.  It wipes the cache then restores it after the update is complete.

The update is completely random, takes place over the next ... 12 more days and there is no way to d/l it yourself.  You have to wait for the OTA notification. 

It is 77.7 in size and will be stored completely on the internal memory.

That's all I have found out for sure.

0 Likes