ADDING ANOTHER SMS App.....
docholliday
Enthusiast - Level 3

If I add another SMS app (such as Handcent or Chomp) can I delete my SMS program that is already on my Eris? I tried to disable but it keeps loading msgs into both....I unchecked all notification boxes for the pre-installed program but it still comes up..What am I doing wrong??

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: ADDING ANOTHER SMS App.....
docholliday
Enthusiast - Level 3

soooooo.... if both are running does that use more space on my phone??? being that msgs are stored on both apps???

View solution in original post

0 Likes
PPC_Dude
Contributor - Level 2

docholliday wrote:

If I add another SMS app (such as Handcent or Chomp) can I delete my SMS program that is already on my Eris? I tried to disable but it keeps loading msgs into both....I unchecked all notification boxes for the pre-installed program but it still comes up..What am I doing wrong??

No, you cannot  delete the stock app on a stock Droid or Eris.  I'm not certain, but I believe that Handcent uses the base functionality of the stock app and just expands on it.  So if you were able to remove the stock app, Handcent might cease to work as well.  I maybe wrong about that, but it's fairly obvious that both apps share the same data storage location at least.

0 Likes
docholliday
Enthusiast - Level 3

soooooo.... if both are running does that use more space on my phone??? being that msgs are stored on both apps???

0 Likes
PPC_Dude
Contributor - Level 2

docholliday wrote:

No, that's what I meant by " both apps share the same data storage location".  The messages are saved in one location and both apps access the same data or share it.  That's why, if you send/receive messages in the stock app, close it, and open Handcent, those same messages are there.

0 Likes
docholliday
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for the help....I was afraid that I was running to programs and using to much mem.....You have been very helpful...

0 Likes
truelove79
Enthusiast - Level 3

As PPC_Dude said, just because you see SMS or MMS messages in both apps doesn't mean each app keeps a copy of each message.  The messages are stored in a database somewhere in the local file structure.  You can install as many messaging apps as you want.  All they do is interact with that same database.  Each message exists in only one location.

0 Likes