Allowing Apps access to other areas
Mrsziggy

I have been considering downloading a calorie counting app. When I go to download the app, I get a message that says the application has access to the following: your location, network communication, system tools, browsing history, etc. I really want the app but I am hesitant to allow anything to have access to system tools and such. Is it normal for apps to have access such things and if so, should I be concerned?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Allowing Apps access to other areas
AZSALUKI
Legend

ditto ron. research the developer because a study was just done that showed 15 of the 30 apps that were studied had leaked info for marketing purposes. it makes sense for a restaurant finding app to need access to your location....but a simple game should not. so just pay attention to what type of app it is, read the comments, and research the developer's website.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
RonAnderson
If your afraid of that you will never have any apps. LOL. Seriously though most apps will access something or the other in your memory, check the dev or the company's web site. Talk to them ask them questions. Read the comments.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

ditto ron. research the developer because a study was just done that showed 15 of the 30 apps that were studied had leaked info for marketing purposes. it makes sense for a restaurant finding app to need access to your location....but a simple game should not. so just pay attention to what type of app it is, read the comments, and research the developer's website.

0 Likes
R2D2Fan

I have been using "Calorie Counter" (syncs with Fat Secret) for 2 1/2 months and lost 23.5 lbs. with my HTC Droid Eris.  Questioning the apps never occurred to me until I received the Droid R2D2 and started doing some reading.  I almost paniced when I couldn't find the app on the new phone.  However, I went to the website on my computer and connected my phone to be able to download the app. What a relief!!  I don't care about what the owner of the app wants from me as long as I can use it and continue on my quest of getting healthy.  It is an awesome program and I'm proof it works if you use it.  Good luck.

0 Likes
Mrsziggy

Thank you all for your responses. I will continue to research the developers and make a decision.

Also, as an FYI, the Calorie Counter from Fat Secret is the app that noted access to 7 or so different areas, including phone settings and location. It might be a good app but it is too intrusive for my taste.

Thanks again to everyone!

0 Likes