Android Marketplace needs improvement for sure (imo)
y0diggity
Contributor - Level 2

In another post I talked about some of my issues with the Android Marketplace. This morning I was surfing Slashdot and found a link to this article -

http://recombu.com/news/app-friday-androids-flea-market-needs-urgent-attention_M11619.html

The last few paragraphs sum up exactly what I was getting at. It's a great idea, just poorly executed at this point. I hope to see improvement there for sure. I think if Google took control of it and tightened it up a bit, got some of the billing issues worked  out and changed the interface and the sorting system, it would be on par with Apple's App Store. Until then, it just seems like an afterthought to me.

I try to go look for programs on it, but it just gets so frustrating when the headings for the sections that I'm looking in still seem to contain all kinds of programs that don't belong in there. It doesn't seem to matter what category I look in, there's going to be all different kinds of programs. I can look through productivity apps and find sexy girl trivia. huh?? What's that all about?

I really hope that Google gets a handle on this part of their operation or it's going to turn into an even bigger jumbled mess than it is now. I think they should just tear the whole thing down and revamp it. A pc-based app would be nice too. Or at least a decent "official" website interface. It just seems sort of random and "lawless" at this point.

I know there are a lot of people who will say "Well it isn't an apple product and we don't want an apple product and its supposed to be open and accessible to any developer." and I understand what you're saying. But the fact is that the comparisons are inevitable. People see and use and understand and appreciate the way that Apple has executed their product. It has set a particular standard. Obviously, Google can't introduce a product that infringes on the App Store, but it should do something to make an attempt at being competitive with them. Google has the manpower and the cash to make it happen and they also have the potential to make a boat-load of money off of it. Sounds like good incentive to me.

Anyone else have any feelings about this, one way or the other?

0 Likes