App installation in the same memory as the phone memory???
Hil

I have been doing some trouble shooting with tech support on my wife's Ally.  He was trying to tell me if we have too many apps downloaded that the phone would start having rebooting issues...  Is this true??  I thought the memory that the apps are installed to are seperate from the memory the OS is running in.

0 Likes
Re: App installation in the same memory as the phone memory???
AZSALUKI
Legend

it could be true, but you'd have to have a WHOLE LOT of apps installed. i'm guessing that since the ally just came out, you don't have enough to cause problems? and i believe you're right about the memory. if you're having reboot issues you can try a hard reset (but you'll lose everything you've put on the phone and have to set it all up again). apps shouldn't cause that. we get these phones FOR THE APPS! i suspect that it's something else and he just didn't know how to help you?

0 Likes
LG_Pro
Contributor - Level 2

Hil wrote:

I have been doing some trouble shooting with tech support on my wife's Ally.  He was trying to tell me if we have too many apps downloaded that the phone would start having rebooting issues...  Is this true??  I thought the memory that the apps are installed to are seperate from the memory the OS is running in.

It is possible to clog up all of your internal memory with Applications, but that would take a LOT of applications!  I generally run about 20 plus Apps on my Ally without any problems...  Of Course it also depends on the Size of the Application and how much memory each one requires to operate. Some Applications will misbehave and cause memory problems.  A common problem is "Memory Leaks" where an plication takes up more and more memory but doesn't release any to be reused.... So just be aware of this...  This all sounds so techie but it's pretty simple, and I like I mentioned I've downloaded tons of Apps without many problems so far... I love the Android OS!

I use an App called "System Panel" to monitor my internal memory, which helps me manage my system...  I would advise one of the many apps out there to help you.

Did you mention that your Wife's Ally is rebooting?  I, personally haven't seen this yet.  If so,  I would do what the Tech mentioned and Uninstall all of the Applications you have added... JUST AS A TEST and see if it runs okay without them.  If it runs okay, then I would them add them back in one at a time and see if we can find one that is causing problems.

Sorry to be so long winded.

0 Likes
Hil

She just got a new phone.  But both of ours are rebooting.  I think the longest uptime that I have seen so far is 39 hours.

Her new one is still rebooting more than mine and she has nothing loaded on it.  Even tried a soft and a hard reset.  Little frustrating especially since the reason I purchased an Android is because it is based off of Linux...  I have Linux servers with an uptime of over 2 years and still going.  This... The dang thing farts and needs a reboot.  If I wanted a phone that needs to reboot all the time I would have purchased a Windows phone.  At least then I would have expected it.

Anybody have a recommended log reader that might be able to help me trouble-shoot?  Also who would I need to send the logs to?

Thanks guys!

0 Likes