App killer or Task killer or whatever...
theblackabbot

I know I've seen this mentioned on this fourm before, but I cannot find it.  There is a build in app killer on the Incredible somewhere and I need the directions.  Thanks!

Also, does anyone know if there is Tip Calculator on the Incredible, or do I need to find an app for that...

0 Likes
Re: App killer or Task killer or whatever...
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

Settings, Applications, Manage Applications, select app and hit force close. You can also go to Running Services under Applications and stop a service.

0 Likes
theblackabbot

Perfect!  Thanks!

When I go into the Running Apps, I see some stuff that has a timer running and it says that these apps were started by another app.  What is this running clock? 

I have Lookout on my phone running - is it the cause of the timers?  And will thes running apps cause this phoen to drain batter faster?  For instance, these are a few of the apps that are running with timers:

GTalkService

ObexService

Touch Input

SyncService

UploadMessageService

0 Likes
tim600sl
Contributor - Level 3

theblackabbot wrote:

I know I've seen this mentioned on this fourm before, but I cannot find it.  There is a build in app killer on the Incredible somewhere and I need the directions.  Thanks!

Also, does anyone know if there is Tip Calculator on the Incredible, or do I need to find an app for that...

I recommend advanced task killer from the market, it's free.  After you download it you can set it up as a widget, meaning you only have to tap on the icon and all the running apps are killed, instead of going through settings, etc. Long press on the screen, select widget, select advanced task killer and you're done!

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

Task killers are a waste imo.  Plenty of articles out recommending against them with the benefits being almost negligible and they typically end up causing more problems.  The android OS will manage the memory and close apps as needed.  If you're having battery life issues, look into adjusting the refresh settings of the app. Phone lagging? Look at the apps you're using and try to find alternatives.  Task managers aren't the end all be all to poorly designed or misbehaving apps.  Using it to cut down on steps required  to close a misbehaving app here or there? Setup a shortcut to manage applications or running services on you home screen and that's one less app you have using memory.

As for the running services, those are associated with apps that need constant connection and run in the background.  Stopping everything there could technically improve your battery life, but then you won't be getting emails, google talk notifications, etc.

0 Likes
TheGreatOne
Master - Level 1

For tip calculator you'll probably have to download it (guessing here,i don't have the phone).You can download the free app called Tirp Calculator by Steve Coward/PhillyAndroid

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3
Well put PJNC284. I have used a couple automated task killers in the past and I just had more issues with no noticeable battery improvements. My phone seemed more laggy and I found I was ignoring almost everything anyway. When tasks get killed before their time, they restart to finish what they are doing anyway causing more cpu usage, which leads to lag and battery loss. With regards to the op, all the items on your list are things that your phone uses on a regular basis. I made the mistake of stopping gtalk and my gmail wouldn't come in, I had to reboot my phone to get it back. If your phone seems laggy, the occasional reboot is a much safer way to solve it, along with finding out which app/apps may be causing it and removing them. Androidforums.com has a few really good threads regarding task killers if you want to do some more research.
0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

i'm "sort of" with pjnc and demmo on this. i've read some articles and other threads and have seen most of the peeps that actually know what they're talking about, not recommend them. however, i've seen some say they won't hurt anything and may actually help a bit IF used properly. so i run a task killer, but have MANY apps on the ignore list. this way it doesn't kill anything important but it does kill all of the (and i have many) "useless" or entertainment type of apps. it's worked fine for me. i can't say i've noticed improved battery life, but i can say i have a boatload of apps on the phone and it runs as fast and smooth as the day i bought it. who knows if the task killer has anything to do with that though?

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3
If you are going to use a task killer, that is the right way to do it. And, by all means, if you don't know what it is or what it's used for, don't kill it, especially as part of a group.
0 Likes
dabubbakin
Contributor - Level 3
Just dumped my task killer for an app called Memory Usage. It's the same concept but its much safer for new people, and more advanced for advanced users. It's kind of like a "why is my phone slow, oh I'll kill all these" app. Won't let you kill important things that need to run. For the most part. Well, I like it lol....
0 Likes