Application Compatibility
Cline5822

I had an HTC Incredible and I emailed the company to ask if there were any applications that they KNEW couldn't be compatible with their phone (They claim they don't know any which has to be COMPLETE problems because no one has a perfect phone that will run every application known to man).  After so many problems with there phones (even when it had NO apps, media, pictures, music, etc) I got changed to a new phone, the Samsung Fascinate Galaxy X. So as I am getting my FROYO update today (And stuck on the phone with Verizon because it had problems updating) I asked if  there were any applications that they KNEW couldn't be compatible with (and of course Verizon said no but to be thorough I will email Samsung and ask them the same thing) so my question is (I have a few actually):

1) WHY can't companies be honest about what their phones CAN and CAN'T do?!?!?! Would it not save them time and money if they all just had lists of apps that were or were not compatible. Less bricked phones, less service calls, less **bleep** of customers, etc.

2) Do any of you fine readers know of apps that will and wont work on your specific phones? Maybe if we all just start making lists of what does and doesn't work on your phone and its OS maybe someone in these companies will take a hint and realize that this is some important information that we as phone owners MIGHT need to know.

0 Likes
Re: Application Compatibility
mdram4x4
Champion - Level 1

companies cannot be exprected ot test each and every app on thier phone.

look thourhg the feedback, and see if other users of the phone have any probelm

why not contact google and ask them, its thier os

in all reality, if you feel th is way i would sugest an iphone.  apple is the only company i know of that keeps thier phones under the kind of tyrannical control you are asking for

0 Likes
Cline5822

They would have to test the apps. As many calls that come in because of application issues they would just know and make a list.  SO basically I call up HTC and say "hey this app don't work with  my phone" they make a list and just note the issue. You get enough people complaining "My phone don't work and I dont know why" then they can say "Hay what apps are on it" and then look to see if it is a known issue. I went through 2 Incredibles and NO ONE could prove it was an app issue and the last one they know it wasn't because I never put apps on it it stayed factory stock for the week I had it.  But It would have been nice to know what could and couldnt go on it. A lot of tech support agents want to say "Hey its your fault its your apps, but NO ONE wants to tell you which app it is and PROVE that it is really your fault" I am all about taking responsibilty for my own mistakes, BUT I you are gonna tell me I F*cked up you better be able to prove to me how I did it and where I went wrong, that is just common courtesy. Further more if I am going to pay $180 a month for phone service you BETTER have some real concrete answers for me when I have a problem. I do PAY for the service you know. I am not saying the issue is Verizon's fault ( I will say their customer service is their fault BUT The phone issue seemed programming not cell service provider error)  Verizon switched out the Incredible for a Fascinate because after 2 Incredibles the issue was not my fault. The Fascinate forced closed straight out the box (Again NO apps on it no NOTHING factory stock and it force closes straight out of the box) I know it is getting its FROYO update at some point today (right now it isnt installing it) so maybe the update will fix the force closing issue, I mean I will give it a chance.

I just saw the Iphone but I'm not due for an update until next year so kinda screwed on that (Maybe not though maybe after the iPhone has been on the Verizon service for a year any kinks it may have will be worked out, I don't know) but I do know I'm not paying $800 for a phone so I'll wait it out. I have never worked much with Apple software but when I played with it in the store the other night it seemed pretty cool. I don't want my phone "Policed" so to speak, I just would like to know "Hey we have issues with this app on this model phone" 

SO this thread is basically for THAT purpose, everyone can post the apps that dont work well with their phones and everyone else has 1 place to come look and see if it applies to their situation.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

There isnt any way to say a app does or not work on a device because the developers usually add support for newer devices and OS as they recieve information on the issue that the device is having, also issues with a device doesnt always come from capatibility issues with phone and app, other apps can cause issues with other apps as will if both are fighting for the same resources...

Programming is a skill not a simple task.

0 Likes