Battery Drain Using GPS in Car Cradle
adiron2hike

I love the GPS in my Droid.  However, whenever I use the GPS with the Droid in the car cradle and with the Droid plugged in, the battery seems to discharge rather than charge.  Today I used the GPS on a trip of about 1 1/2 hours. When I got to my destination, the battery was nearly totally discharged.  I then drove for about a half hour with the GPS off, and the Droid out of the cradle. The battery began charging.  Finally, I drove for another hour with the GPS on and the Droid out of the cradle.  The battery continued to charge. This would suggest that it may have something to do with the Droid being in the cradle or perhaps a problem with the Car Home app that runs when the phone is in the cradle. I would be interested in knowing if anyone else has had a similar problem.

0 Likes
Re: Battery Drain Using GPS in Car Cradle
Not applicable

Are you sure the power cable was completely plugged into your Droid while in the car dock?  I know the cable is a little short.  I use my Droid in navigation mode with Pandora playing all the time with no problem.  Something is not right (obviously).

0 Likes
adiron2hike

Yes, I have been watching this for awhile.  It has happened more than once. Each time I have checked the power cord.

0 Likes
logicman
Contributor - Level 3

Could be due to overheating. See Cooking your phone.

0 Likes
adiron2hike

Interesting!  Yes, the phone was quite warm.  I thought it might be from charging or discharging, much like it seems to get hot if the camera or bar scanner has been left on.  I will definitely check it out as a possibility.

0 Likes
y0diggity
Contributor - Level 2

I spend a LOT of time traveling for work in a car with my Droid mounted to the windshield and the GPS running. The linked forum post talks about direct sunlight, but I can tell you that even at night, in winter, with the phone charging and the GPS running, it gets HOT. Much hotter than I would think that it should get. I haven't experienced charging issues with mine fortunately, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if I did.

At this point I just let it cook. I really haven't found a solution to the issue anywhere and I haven't read much about it becoming a phone-killer. On the bright side, after a good long trip, I can put a toaster strudel on it and it heats up in about 3 minutes. mmmmmm.... Breakfast....

0 Likes
adiron2hike

OK, I'm still having the problem with the battery draining while using the GPS in the car with the phone plugged in.  And, yes, the phone gets hot.  However, it is not getting hot from the sun. I have moved the phone to different locations and it still gets hot.  And it is not the cradle. I have used the gps with and without the cradle.  Still doesn't charge, and still gets hot.  Now here's the kicker: When I turn off the GPS, and leave the phone plugged in, the battery charges and the phone remains cool.  That would suggest that it is an issue with the GPS.  Anyone have any thoughts?

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

Yeah, I've had the same issue with the battery draining while trying to charge with a car charger purchased from verizon and using google nav.  I'm guessing one of two things is happening: either gps and navigation are running off of the charger and not allowing the battery to charge or they draw more power than the car charger can supply.  This issue isn't limited to the droid as I've heard reports of similar events with other phones.

0 Likes
logicman
Contributor - Level 3

A third factor is if charging was halted because battery temperature got too high. That was my experience.

0 Likes
adiron2hike

Glad to hear that someone else has the same issue.  Either issue suggests quite limited usability for the GPS on the phone.  While I really like the GPS on the Droid, it sounds like I may have to go back to my Garmin until a solution is found. Would love to hear a comment from Verizon tech support.

0 Likes