Re: Browser Replacement App??
kschaub
Enthusiast - Level 3

I tried Firefox and there seemed to be several features that would be a plus against version 7 on Android phones. However, I was also frustrated with the surfing experience. I don't know whether this was an issue that I could easily fix, but when I visited websites with mobile versions, Firefox would not display the mobile site by default. When I forced it to show the mobile site (in the URL bar), the graphics were obviously pixilated -- i.e. the mobile site didn't look like it belonged in the Firefox browser. So I uninstalled. It seems promising, but the stock browser has been stable and agreeable ever since I first received my DInc.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
Well I started my "Trying" of different browsers with Opera Mini. For all of five minutes. The red title bar and navigation bar at the bottom were nice, but on my little 3.2" screen too much screen real estate occupied. Portait was workable, but in landscape, forget it. Back to the stock browser for now.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
Update
Went with Dolphin Browser (not the HD version) next. Used it for almost a week on my most visited sites (i.e. here a lot, LOL). The pages were rendered in very similar manner to the stock browser. I was starting to get familiar with the gesture settings. So far so good. It is now on the list of maybe I'll go back to using again.

I gave Opera Mini another try. The mobile views of the sites I visited rendered completely differently than either the stock or dolphin browsers. For example on the mobile view of this site, the reply and kudos buttons have rounded corners. With Opera, the corners were squared off. Changing to a different page on this site functioned differently. The choice of text size by the browser was also an issue. The small size was almost to small. I could read it, but sometimes it was hard to select the embedded links in very short strings of text. The medium text caused an overlap with other text/links on the page and frankly sometimes appeared a bit blurred.

Currently running Skyfire, the mobile pages are so far loading like the stock and Dolphin browser. However I am not a Facebook user so this Facebook intergration is a point against the browser. Trying to ignore at the moment.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
Hey gerio check this out!

http://www.droid-life.com/2010/12/07/firefox-mobile-beta-will-hit-android-market-later-this-month/

I will definitely try Firefox Beta out when it hits the market.

As for Skyfire run through, it didn't last the weekend. Thankful it wasn't because of the toolbar at the bottom with the facebook stuff. It was loading pages in the mobile view some time and others it would load the desktop view. It was happening with the same bookmarks that were never changed once they were saved. Strange but annoying.

Oh well on to Dolphin Browser HD this time.

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

Dolphin HD has been my "stock" browser for quite a while now and, after a couple funky updates, I really like it.  One of the big pluses (how do you spell that, nothing looks right, lol) is that it has add-ons that you can cater to your likings.  Another option will be coming soon as well, dolphin is coming out with a dolphin mini version that is supposed to be somewhere between standard and HD, though I think closer to the standard with a slightly different menuing interface.

0 Likes
bostondann

I have an Incredible and have tried several and keep coming back to the one that is built in to the Droid OS. I used Dolphin on my Eris but do not like the HD version. Opera tries to be smarter than it is and I find FireFox to be clunky. I wish Google would create a version of Chrome for the Incredible. 

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Well Dolphin Broswer HD has so far lasted the longest.  Recently it did start to do something really buggy.  So uninstalled and tried the website on the stock browser.  The site worked perfectly.  I reinstalled the Dolphin Browser HD again and the issue is so far been cleared up.  Oh and site in question?  It was the mobile view of this website.  So everyone, have you seen the mobile site ever act this way?

Description:

The mobile view was strange in that the red topic title bar was half white and half black. The up & new button were white.  the combo was hard to read.  Also the sub-forum selection were weird black and gray stripe bars.

One of these days I will try the Dolphon Browser Mini, but I think I will stick with the Stock Browser or Dolphin Browser HD.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

0 Likes