Browser options on the Droid
TallGuy1970

Greetings,

I am in the market for a new phone, but I have some specific requirements. My job requires me to access and sometimes activate an emergency alert system. I learned today that this activation process is moving to a Web-based interface. Often, I am out in the field when I may need to access or activate this system. I used to just call someone back at the office to access the system. With the new interface, I would like to be able to do this myself, and I will need a phone with a good web browser to aid me in my job.

I currently have an old Treo 700p and its browser is slow and will not work well for my needs. I wanted to get some input from those who own the droid. How is the default broswer? What other browser options are available?

Thanks!

0 Likes
Re: Browser options on the Droid
TallGuy1970

Wow! Three days, 110 views and ZERO replies. That is quite telling!

Time to look elsewhere for a good browsing phone.

0 Likes
GreySeal
Enthusiast - Level 3

TallGuy1970 wrote:

Wow! Three days, 110 views and ZERO replies. That is quite telling!

Time to look elsewhere for a good browsing phone.

What is telling?  That your post was ignored?  That the phone doesn't work?

OK, enough with the sarcasm.  Sorry, just had a bad morning.

So, on the the topic.  The default browser is GREAT.  A replacement call Dolphin is even better.

Keep in mind that there is NO FLASH.  It is supposed to be coming in 2010, but no guarantees.  Other than that, either browser is FAST.  Darn near as fast as a good DSL connection on a computer.  WAY better than your Treo.  Way better than any blackberry out there now.

Will it work with the website you will have to use?  No one will be able to tell you that it will work 100%.  Chances are though, except for FLASH, it will work fine.  Can't say 100% without knowing what kind of fancy stuff will be on the website.

0 Likes
TallGuy1970

Sorry, didn't mean to ruffle feathers, but I did post the same post on other sites (Sprint and AT&T) and got several responses. It was interesting to see others brag or comment about their phones and at the same time listen to the proverbial crickets here at this site. I've had WinMo phones in the past and feel I know about most options on that platform. I was clueless when it came to Android and the new Palm OS.

I am going to go play with all of them, but I wanted to get some input from actual users. Thanks for your help! 

0 Likes
GreySeal
Enthusiast - Level 3

TallGuy1970 wrote:

Sorry, didn't mean to ruffle feathers,

No worries, mate.  (no, I'm not Austrailian, just like the way it sounds :smileywink: )

I really do think you'd be very happy with the Droid.  The browser is very, very good.

I've never used the iPhone other than playing with it in the Apple stores while my wife was shopping, but I believe it is the best browsing experience out there on a phone if I'm not mistaken.  The Droid is very very close to that, and the screen is higher resolution.

Good luck 

0 Likes
meister
Enthusiast - Level 3
I like the default browser. I'm responding to this post on my droid. I had the htc imagio, but traded it in for the droid and I'm much happier.
0 Likes