Clearing Data in Stock Apps
gemro311

Trying to clear the Data on stock apps such as Messenger, Gmail and MP3 Strore does not work all that well. Forced me to restart the Eris so I can start Mobile Serrvices as I was leaving the house . Why do these Apps feel they have to run all the time ???:smileymad:

0 Likes
Re: Clearing Data in Stock Apps
logicman
Contributor - Level 3

I assume you went to Applications in settings and cleared data. What were you trying to accomplish? If messenger and Gmail were not running then you would never receive texts or emails on your phone.

0 Likes
gemro311

These programs are always running in the background..I do not use the Stock Messenger program to send my 5 texts a month. As far as Mail..I use the Dolphin Browser to get my Gmails ...I find it easier to work with and I do not have to sync the phone . Actually it's all in the name of save my batteries life. I could very easily use a taks killer , but have read they do not work .  I can understand that services need to run ..but Apps ???

0 Likes
TheGreatOne
Master - Level 1

I am not sure if it is on the Droid phones. On my G1 I have the power to see all apps running & the ability to actually turn them off. My G1 recently got an update though & this was added in as a new feature.  Anywho,I just go to....

Settings

About Phone

Battery Use

It tells me what apps are using my battery the most but I can also view which ones are running in the background. Pretty cool

0 Likes
willanaya
Contributor - Level 3

gemro311 wrote:

These programs are always running in the background..I do not use the Stock Messenger program to send my 5 texts a month. As far as Mail..I use the Dolphin Browser to get my Gmails ...I find it easier to work with and I do not have to sync the phone . Actually it's all in the name of save my batteries life. I could very easily use a taks killer , but have read they do not work .  I can understand that services need to run ..but Apps ???

unfortunately with the droid we come across rogue apps however you have no need to fear if you think they are draining your battery.  as long as you are not using them they are not consuming battery power. but if you are worried then try the taskiller, which is what i use and have had no problem since i purchased my Droid in Nov.  it even lets you set ignores on apps you dont want to close but want all others turned off.

wanna save battery power?

turn off "use wireless networks" and "use GPS satellites" in the location and Security of your settings when you arent using your GPS

shut off Background Data in your Accounts and sync folder in your settings when you arent checking out the market

install the power widget to manually adjust your bightness

or maybe you have a slightly defective battery

or read this: apps running in the background

0 Likes