Does Skype work on the DROID
kcav45

When I tried to download Skype to my DROID I was told "Sorry Skype is unavailable for your phone."   How can this be since I just finished reading "put the planet in your pocket" download Skype to DROID by Motorola.  Where can I download Skype from to run on my DROID?

0 Likes
Re: Does Skype work on the DROID
AZSALUKI
Legend

i downloaded from either the market or appbrain (don't remember). it should run jst fine on your droid. i have the incredible....but all vzn androids are supposed to be able to run it.

0 Likes
Cobjones
Contributor - Level 1
It is not available via markets.

You can search for an .apk file.

It doesn't work great on the Droid, but I didn't give it a lot of time. I know it works great on X... but my results may be due to me using an old beta.
0 Likes
andyinny

i downloaded it from the market on my droid 2 and works just fine... well from the states that is. apperantly its not for use internationally, including canada.

0 Likes
AutoXRacer

What Skype features can you use with the Droid X? Can I video Skype (although I know the X does not have a front camera) or just use the calling feature?

0 Likes
Peter_Berk

I works fine on my DROID.

When did you purchase your device?

I heard it happened to some models.

0 Likes
kordu

I have the LG Ally and had Skype on it since I bought it 2 months ago.  Had to do a verizon update on my phone and when it booted back up it was not working.  Un-installed the skype and went to the market to download it again, it was not found.  Went to the skype webpage and had the download messaged to my phone and when i clicked on the link it says error: not found.  Anybody with an idea?

0 Likes
GoHokies

Skype works fine on my Droid.  If I go to the Verizon section of the Android Market, Skype Mobile is the third choice.

0 Likes
Ambreezy
Contributor - Level 3

Follow the instructions for downloading and installing the Skype application from the Android Marketplace.  Search for Skype within the Android Marketplace. Once downloaded you should be able to create your account. Here are the steps to download.

From the home screen, touch the applications tab (located on the bottom of the screen).
Touch Market.
Touch the Apps tab.
Touch the category (e.g. All applications, Finance, Entertainment, etc). 
Touch the appropriate tab.
~Top paid
~Top free
~Just in
Touch the application / widget such as:
Widgets
CNN News
Delivers up-to-the-minute news and information on the latest top stories, weather, and entertainment.
Applications:
Allows Skype customers to place free or low cost calls to other PCs, wireless devices, and landline phones.
If the application is free, touch Install.
TouchOK
 Review the alerts for access. If they are not acceptable, cancel the installation.

0 Likes
wmayo

But someone help explain to me what good Skype is ... if it uses YOUR plan minutes like a regular phone call, and it won't do video on my Ally. At least they fixed the part where you HAD to turn off ALL wifi access and functions while on Skype. It still won't use wifi.

I guess it DOES work well, for international use? Skype user to Skype user.

0 Likes