Re: Droid WIFI useless
Spurgen8r

My WiFi only works when the network is visible.  Could that possibly be the issue?  It was for me. 

0 Likes
Ardoreal
Enthusiast - Level 2

dknight0 wrote:

the wifi on both of my droids is spotty at best... works great for about 15 minutes, then starts to flkae-out.. drops wfifi altogether (and not at the same time on both droids... and other devices on the same linksys g wireless netowrk stay connected, incl my laptops and blackberry)... It happens to me at work too... if I'm on wifi connection, I'm lucky if i get 15 minuites of uninterrupted network time. I have changed advanced settings to never sleep wifi and also tried apps like wififixer... no go. still disconnects. it will say 'not in range' when I am sitting right next to the router.

sometimes I can get it to reconnect by:

1. boucning wifi a few times (sometimes 1 time will do it. other times it takes 3or 4 tries)

2. forgetting the router, then reconnecting (and re-entering the password)

3. turning-off wifi, then 'forgetting' the router, turning wifi back on, then re-entering the router password.

4. rebooting the phone

5. powering the phoen off, then pulling battery.. this last option ALWAYS works to get me reconnected, but is obviously last resort.

all during this time, my other droid is still on and using the wifi (as are my other devices)... but both droids do have the same problem (just not at the same times).

i look at my connectiosn tables on my router and am in no way overtaxing my dhcp or routing capabilities.

anyone have any other suggestions?

Dude there's something up with your router if two Droids struggle with it.  I use mine almost all day (I'm on a 20mbps fiber connection at home), and my wifi acts as such.  You'd have to post what sort of router you're using to really get any good advice.

0 Likes
paulhlee

I have a totally different problem with the Droid and WiFi.  Whenever I use the Droid on my WiFi at home, it works great for about 15 minutes... then BAM - ALL of my Wireless Devices lose contact with the Access Point.  I'm using Verizon FiOS with teh FiOS Wireless Access Point... have looked through all the settings there and in the Droid and see nothing out of the ordinary.  Until this is fixed, I have to keep the Droid off of the wireless network...

Any ideas out there what I can look for????

0 Likes
Haggie
Enthusiast - Level 3

My wifi isn't terrible, but it is very inconistent. And since I have great 3G reception in SF, an unlimited plan, and nothing I run is that bandwidth intensive, I have it turned off. I just don't need the aggravation of having it work sometimes and then randomly crap out on me.

0 Likes
jcdick1

For my Droid, the problem seems to be secured APs.  I can successfully connect to open APs, such as in the local coffee shop or the hospital, but any AP that requires a pre-shared key it simply will not connect.  I have tried bouncing the wifi, forgetting the AP and re-enabling it, rebooting the phone ... I cannot get wifi to work with secure access points.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

0 Likes
Digimike

My WiFi works great, did you type in an encryption key incorrectly?

0 Likes
droidee

I've used a good number of phones (incl. Droid Eris) with my WPA-protected home WiFi modem and never had any trouble connecting and using WiFi for as long as I wanted. Yesterday I tried the same with my new Droid and WiFi stayed on for a couple of minutes, enough to download one software item from the Android Market but not long enough to download a second; it got stuck at 56% for the longest time till I realized that I had no connection - in spite of the WiFi icon proudly showing on the info bar...  Moreover, the phone froze when I tied to enter the WiFi settings and I had to do a battery pull. My point is: It shouldn't be necessary to cancel security options on the modem - connection should be established and kept on as with other phones. Motorola/Google must iron out this issue; it's a big dent in the Droid's power and reputation!

0 Likes
mikeynavy1

I asked this in a different post, but seeing as powderhoundrich mentioned he got 7Mbps on his Wifi connection, I'm wondering why I can only top out at 3 Mbps download/ 1.5Mbps upload on a 20Mbps connection.  My IPOD Touch gets around 10 Mbps download and 4Mbs upload.  Is there some setting limiting me?  Advice?

0 Likes
gte2vzw

Since I am thinking of upgrading to a droid and because i'm a geek, my eyes immediately spotted this thread for wifi problems. 

if you haven't already done so, check which version of firmware you are running on your router and then which version of firmware is available at the manufacturer's site.  upgrade it to the newest firmware, even if it's a few years old.

my brother bought his daughter a vista laptop and some sequence of turning on the wifi would hang all the devices in his cabled network running off an old 11b wireless router.  he'd have to shut everything down, and reboot in a certain sequence.  he's got several computers and devices on his home network.  i checked the manufacturer's website and found that my brother's 11b wireless router had not been updated to the last firmware version from 2002.  

i wasn't sure that that would fix the problem, but it would eliminate the router as the problem if the firmware update has no effect.  so we installed the latest firmware from 5+ years prior.  voila, the problem was resolved.  of course, i later replaced it with my old 54g router after i bought and tested my Draft N wireless router so that when i visited him i had decent performance on my laptop! 

outdated wireless router firmware (even if the newest version is a few years old) has been the leading issue i've experienced helping friends and family with their wireless routers, including connecting xBox wifi and company VPN connection that just stopped working.  the firmware that fixed that problem was old, as well, but the new version of VPN must have taken advantage of something in the latest firmware version.   

wireless router firmware is usually updated to function with the wifi protocol it supports, not specific end-user devices.  the end-user devices have their own firmware updates for the wifi hardware it uses so that's the other thing to double-check. 

let me know if this helps any as i'd like to hear more consistent stories about wifi access since i'm considering upgrading to the droid!   

0 Likes
Nelson63

Here is how I solved the problem for my Droid with 2.0.1 Update.  I was able to get WiFi up on my WPA2 home network with full encryption, but only after I made the SSID visible on the router *and* registered the MAC address on the router's filter.   WiFi came right up.  Then I had to apply a fix to recogize hidden SSID networks.

From the top:

Temporarily enable SSID broadcast on your wireless router

Set your wireless router to recognize your Droid's MAC address

Set up the WiFi network on your Droid as usual

You should see the "3G" symbol at top of the display replaced by a WiFI symbol, indicating the change in connection.

Disable SSID broadcast on your wireless router

At this point, when I hid the SSID on the wireless router again, my Droid promptly dropped the connection and showed the netowrk as "Not In range, Remembered" and would not reconnect.

A bit of searching on that term and hidden SSID revealed a solution in the Google code forums:

Issue 1041: Hidden SSID Fails to Connect

The problem here is that the Droid will not recognize networks with hidden SSIDs out of the box. 

Aside from some custom coding, the forum also mentions an application called "Hidden SSID Enabler" from Android Market. 

Downloading this application and entering the SSID for the network of interest promptly allowed my Droid to connect to the hidden network will full WPA2 support and encryption.

Crossposted to:

Supportforums.motorola.com

Cheers

0 Likes