Re: Eris firmware update
Medic180
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well, I spoke to both Verizon and HTC and neither has any productinve information. I see the new HTC incredible is coming out the end of this month and has many features I want including the higher firmware. I will probably just go by one and be done with the problem. While I hate that option as all I am doing is giving more money to Verizon and HTC (in purchasing yet another new phone) it does solve my delema. It is a sore subject to give them yet more money just because they have failed to support our current device (the Eris) with an update. Maybe this is another example of coporate greed? Maybe they know if they release a new device and hold off on a software update that the $$$$ will flow in via phone purchases? Wouldn't surprise me. Let's be honest it IS about the all mighty $ and not about customer support, otherwise we would already have the update. If the Incedible can launch with Sense UI and firmware 2.1 in days, the firmware is obviously already operational with Sense UI, so all of the comments about needing to get the firmware intergrated with the sense UI have been resolved some time ago. They just don't want us to upgrade old devices, moreover purchase new ones.

0 Likes
kenyu73
Contributor - Level 3

I have to agree with the business perspective, but not on the fact that 2.1 with Sense UI validation delay excuses.

The Eris can't handle alot of the 2.1 features (like application wide Speech to Text and Live Wallpapers). HTC had to disable these features. They also had to better streamline the performace so it runs well with the Eris' lower hardware specs.

We all can speculate why Verizon/HTC is delaying the patch and one may be because of the Incredible... maybe because of "greed" maybe because of marketing priority... maybe because its still buggy as heck.... who knows.

If you want the 2.1, download it from here...

http://android.grdlock.net/index.php?PHPSESSID=2dc5f52a528fab1b1c6d5964a9914827&direction=0&order=&d...

1. rename it to PB00IMG.zip
  2. copy it to your sd card
  3. shutdown the phone
  4. press down-volume and power
  5. press trackball to <action> start the upgrade

Your done.

0 Likes
Medic180
Enthusiast - Level 2

Do you need to download the root as well? What does or doesn't rooting the phone do for the upgrade?

0 Likes
Medic180
Enthusiast - Level 2

Also if I upgrade using your link will an OTA official update from Verizon (if we ever get one) still work?

0 Likes
kenyu73
Contributor - Level 3

It's an official leaked version and you would get an OTA upgrade as long as the OTA was newer then this leaked version.

Download the "official.zip" version, not the "root"... then follow my instructions. If your still concerned, then read through the posts over on Android Forums.

http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-eris

Also, for those who upgraded when the leak was first released... this leaked version is actually a bit newer then the original version. AndroidForums calls it "leak v2" of sorts.

0 Likes
y0diggity
Contributor - Level 2

I just bought new Eris's for my wife and daughter yesterday to upgrade them from their older phones. I have a Droid and have had it since the launch day and I follow these forums closely. I just wanted to ask in this thread - Does the 2.1 leaked upgrade for the Eris really improve the UI, or is it a marginal improvement. I've seen some info about it, but from a practical, hands-on point of view, what do you think about it?

0 Likes
The_Aussie

I have heard some rumors revolving around the 29/30th of this month...this is the last rumor im giving any hope to...if it doesnt come out then, leaked version it is for me....

** conspiracy theory: maybe they want us all to go to the leaked version, then there is no warranty and support....hhmmmm**

0 Likes
mashalpha
Well they are taking orders for the incredible it ships on 29th . Interestingly I have numerous emails dated till Friday saying I had to get eris and incredible didn't exist and we would have update before it well short of it VZW wake up ship update before incredible but either way going to FTC and DA for being told had to get eris then being told spend full price for two more to get update only available with incredible because it is replacing eris its stock is ADR6300 . So folks its about money let's see if they listen and release update because there people lied when they said incredible was a rumor .
0 Likes
kenyu73
Contributor - Level 3

mashalpha wrote:
Well they are taking orders for the incredible it ships on 29th . Interestingly I have numerous emails dated till Friday saying I had to get eris and incredible didn't exist and we would have update before it well short of it VZW wake up ship update before incredible but either way going to FTC and DA for being told had to get eris then being told spend full price for two more to get update only available with incredible because it is replacing eris its stock is ADR6300 . So folks its about money let's see if they listen and release update because there people lied when they said incredible was a rumor .

Maybe its me, but I've read this post 3 times and still dont fully what mashalpha said :smileytongue:

0 Likes
M3lton
Contributor - Level 1

Yeah, try reading mashalpha's other posts. Very funny and broken English.

He's obvioulsy upset though.

0 Likes