Family Locator / Chaperone
boogie

Will the Verizon Family Locator (aka Chaperone) be available with the new Droid phones?  I called support and they were uncertain. I may just have to wait and see.

0 Likes
Re: Family Locator / Chaperone
cem95z
Contributor - Level 1

I don't know if Chaperone is available, but I think I heard that with the google maps feature, if you have multiple droids, that you can set it up to where you can tell where each other are... if all parties agree.

I am wondering if you can set it up where you can check it online and see where the phone is.

0 Likes
fezzik
Contributor - Level 3

Yeah there is an app for that.  A few I think.   Google maps has something called locater or something I forget the exact name but you sign up for it and then you get a pin and you can give that pin to who ever and as long as they agree you can see where they are.  There are also other apps that let you just check the location based on the most accurate location available for instance if they are out of signal or out of GPS then it will go by tower signal and then by wifi if those are available. 

0 Likes
Mechap

I doubt it, I really Doubt it. Big red could care less about the Fathers who use Chaperone to watch out for thier loved ones and would like a cool phone at the same time.   It never came out for Blackberry, It never came out for Windows Mobile, and now its probably not coming out for Droid.  There attempt to pacify us with the WAP access website was really a slap in the face. The phone web access is never acurate like the chaperone \Fam locator  application. The map image is the size of a quarter  (literaly) and I think thats really stupid. Why not have a full screen zoomable panable map like the application?  With the Droid I was able to log into the Full web access version but the page never fully loaded on the screen... aint that a slap in the face? with all the things that the Droid is suppose to be able to do, it cant even access the full vzw family locator site.  Oh and another thing, If uve learned to depend on VZ navigator like you depend on Chaperone\ Fam Locator. Dont even think about the droid. VZNAV  WILL NEVER BE AVAILABLE ON THE MOTODROID. I got that straight from Verizon support. its like some deal they have with google so people will use google maps instead of VZ Nav.  Guess google really put the foot down on Big reds neck on that one lol

0 Likes
kenyu73
Contributor - Level 3

You'll see applications in the android market soon I'm sure. The only issue I see is the "children" wold probably have to have an Android OS too.

Or... maybe Verizon would make an app that can receive Chaperone updates and plot them to Google maps. Give Verizon some time (or at least the independant app designers), I bet we'll see something sometime soon!

0 Likes
fezzik
Contributor - Level 3

Lattitude keeps track of GPS enabled phones.  There are other apps for that.  Also VZW is working on porting apps to Android they have plans to launch their own market like the one Tmoble just came out with.  Also if you depend on VZ navigator then I hope you enjoy finding business that don't exist or went out of business 10 years ago.  It uses AOL Citiysearch to provide search information and it has two problems first it is never updated and second it relied on businesses to update it for them.  Good luck getting upto date information out of it.  I am glad that I will be getting rid of it.  Google navigation has some issues since it is still in Beta but Google search and Google maps are about 9 years more up to date than VZ navigator ever was.  If you relied on them you will find much better apps to rely on.  Seriously the VZ apps were never really that good, but they will be coming or something like them will be coming to Android. 

Don't listien to VZW customer service on the deals with VZ and Google.  They have no idea they have barely been trained on the phones much less any inside deals between the two companies.  They have their own breed of speculation and trust me from talking with them the least informed customer is more informed than 75% of the reps.  So far I have found {please keep your posts courteous}and they didn't know the Eris would be cheaper.  so yeah take it for what it is worth.

0 Likes
Jagger-VzW
Contributor - Level 2

I do not think Verizon Wireless has the attitude as espoused earlier in this thread, "Big red could care less about the Fathers who use Chaperone to watch out for thier loved ones and would like a cool phone at the same time."  The entire push for the DROID was to have an open OS so that Users could add their own applications and not be forced to choose from what VZW offers.

I think saying, "VZNAV  WILL NEVER BE AVAILABLE ON THE MOTODROID" is quite a statement as no one really knows what is going to happen in the future.  However, there are many applications including Google Apps, which are great Navigation choices!

0 Likes
cpolk72

I have a droid and found that I can track my son's phone which is using the Chaperone child application via fl.vzw.com. At this point I am unable to view the full web version of the familylocator.vzw.com site via my droid browser. The "latitude" service (FREE!!) on the droid google map application is pretty cool if I want to track my own phone or other latitude members but is not available on my son's phone so I am using family locator for now. Family locator has some great features such as being able to set up text alerts based on my son leaving or arriving at a certain location (i.e. home and school).

0 Likes
LeonardM
Enthusiast - Level 3

cpolk72 wrote:

I have a droid and found that I can track my son's phone which is using the Chaperone child application via fl.vzw.com.

Exactly cpolk72 found that http://fl.vzw.com can be accessed from any Verizon phone to locate other family members.

No longer is their a device restriction in place for parents with "cool phones" who wish to locate their family members.

You can also navigate to fl.vzw.com via My Verizon > My Services > Family Locator

This will work on RIM, DROID, WINMO, PALM, any device.

Thanks!

0 Likes
fezzik
Contributor - Level 3

Yeah sorry.  This is one of those apps that sounded like it would be good and then I tried it out and pretty much find it to be useless.  In order to use it to keep track of anyone they have to remember to update their location on Latitude.  If they happen to have maps open and are logged in at the moment you are trying to figure out where they are it is fine, also they have to be outside.  So yeah actually I find it great for finding where I am but isn't good for checking in with others. 

0 Likes