Gmail using all internal memory
ahendric

Hey there all,

My gmail app is using 37MB of my internal memory.  Why and what can I do about it. 

If I clear data what all am I losing and will it propagate the deleted data back to my online gmail?

Thanks for any info you can give me.

Andrew

0 Likes
Re: Gmail using all internal memory
M3lton
Contributor - Level 1

That's odd that it is using so much memory.

Here's my recommendation. Download the app, TasKiller. Go into TasKiller's settings and turn on the option, Auto Kill When Screen OFF. Make sure you add apps like Alarm Clock to the ignore list, and certain things you would not like the program to kill when you go to bed, but it will kill g-mail everytime you lock your screen, as well as all other apps that are not in the ignore list.

I have been using this option for the last week and last night I went to bed wih 67% battery life. And I used my phone all day.

So, I hope this helps, and I don't know why your e-mail is taking up so much ram.

Also, auto kill when screen off will still allow your email to auto-sync if you have that turned on, and it doesn't kill any app that is still open on your screen when it shuts off.

Say you were messaging someone and your screen timed out, when you turn your screen back on and unlock, messaging will still be there, but all other apps not running on screen will be killed.

It's a life/battery-saving option.

0 Likes
ahendric

M3lton,

Thanks for the suggestions, I had early on used the App Task Killer, but it was causing some other issues.  I don't really have any issues with my battery, it is just with running out of internal memory.

I will give this a try.

Thanks,

Andrew

0 Likes
M3lton
Contributor - Level 1

You're welcome. Just make sure you download TasKiller. One word. Not Advanced Task Killer, or another one.

My friend with the Moto Droid uses Adv. Task Killer and it doesn't have the Auto Kill When Screen Off option.

I also paid 90 cents for the full version of TasKiller. No ads and it also allows you to add unlimited apps to the ignore list. Worth it.

Just open an app, go into TasKiller, touch and hold on the app you want to ignore and a menu will open up giving you multiple options. And if you need to remove an app from the ignore list, go into setting -->ignore list and touch and hold on the app you'd like to remove. Pretty simple.

Good luck.

0 Likes
logicman
Contributor - Level 3

I do not recommend installing and setting up task killer to kill Gmail every time you lock your phone. If Gmail was using that much memory it was probably a fluke and killing it once should suffice to clear up the issue. People should stop treating Android as if it was the resource hogging OS known as Windows.

0 Likes
ahendric

It is the gmail data that is taking the space.  The app itself runs fine.

I want to know why the email data is so large.

I don't want to have to keep killing the data to keep the size small.  Having access to historical email is the advantage of having a droid, at least I thought so.

Thanks,

Andrew

0 Likes
M3lton
Contributor - Level 1
Dear Logicman, Why so hostile? Android may not be a huge big, but it definitely does use a good amount of background memory. Why would you not recommend using an app killer while you are not using your phone? Would that just be too logical? If you're not using an app, Why not kill it? App killers don't stop you from ever using the app again. So, please explain why you wouldn't recommend ending apps when not using them.
0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

There are plenty of articles out advising against using task killers as they usually end up causing more issues than they fix.  Android 2.0+ is usually pretty good about memory management.  How many days do you have the app set to sync?  I have mine set to auto sync 4 days and I'm only using about 600K.  

0 Likes
M3lton
Contributor - Level 1

Which app are you talking about? Gmail or TasKiller?

On my Droid Eris there's no option to set your Gmail to sync at a certain time. It just does every 5 minutes or so.

As for TasKiller, I have it set to kill all apps that aren't ignored every single time the screen turns off.

So far, I have not had one problem caused by TasKiller and I've used it for a month. I don't see what problems it would cause if used properly. Now, if you force close certain programs then yeah, it'll probably screw things up until a reboot, but just auto-killing has no effect on my phone. Other than making the battery last longer, and it also runs faster when I turn the screen on.

0 Likes
Not applicable

I have the free version of Advanced Task Killer loaded on my Motorola Droid.  It is setup to kill all apps except email, gmail, and messaging.  I click it just about everytime I finish with an app.  I haven't had any problems with it.

0 Likes