HTC Droid Eris Update 2.1 issues
VZveteran

I am finding this would be a great place to vent my issues about the Eris software problems, especially in version 2.1

After updating both my wifes and my Eris phones with version 2.1, the following issues have arrived:

1. Sound disappears almost every other day.  The only way to get it back is to shutdown completely.

2. Camera is slower now than the previous software version.

3. Battery life is shorter.   According to all the release reports, the battery life was supposed to be extended.  I do not see this as possible.  Even when I task kill and use do not use the phone for a few hours, the battery is still getting drained.

The testers of the software releases are apparently NOT doing enough homework before releasing.  

Do not me wrong, the Eris Droid is a miniature laptop, however needs a better life expectancy, faster memory.

One PRO to this phone, it works EXCELLENT as a tether for my laptop. I can cruise the web with my laptop and using my phone as a ISP, and getting at least DSL speeds.  

Are there anyone else dealing with the above issues??    Would enjoy your constructive complaints.   I am positive Verizon will take note of these issues for future updates. 

Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: HTC Droid Eris Update 2.1 issues
ss

I finally broke down and did the factory reset...everyone is right...it pretty much fixes many of the issues that resulted from the 2.1 upgrade...back up all of your apps with Astro file manager...back up all of your contacts in gmail...and back up any pics that are not already on your SD card...and note how you have your home screens set up...and just factory reset it and erase all of the data and set it up from scratch.  Everything is running very smoothly now.  Not sure of the impact on battery life yet...this is the first day after my reset...but so far...it seems much improved.

0 Likes
LetsgoFishing
Contributor - Level 1

ss....this may be a silly question but i want to know since you did the factory reset.  i'm assuming it keeps the 2.1 update, just makes everything smoother & get rid of some bugs?  seem like i read on this forum somewhere the reset will take you back to 1.5 even though i didnt think there was a way to go back to that version.  even though 1.5 was ok, i don't want to lose my voice navigation.  love that feature.  can you let me know so i can poss do it to.  thx

0 Likes
zenuke

i would also like to know if doing the reset helps battery life. Battery life is abysmal now with 2.1, thing barely lasts a day even if I don't really use it. 

Also loving how it likes to just run a 1000 apps that you really don't want it to run...

so far.... 2.1 is a POS over 1.5

my browsers also just closes itself like 90% of the time and clicking on a text box no longer brings up the keyboard auto matically, I have to hold my finger on there.

0 Likes
LetsgoFishing
Contributor - Level 1

another question ss.....you stated to backup files using Astro File mngr.  i'm not sure how to use this app.  if i hard reset, how do i get these files back on phone w this app?

0 Likes
Crestwood

What is the solution to intermittent lack of phone audio on in and outgoing calls.

0 Likes
barbp

I would like to know this, too!

0 Likes
christinar78

I started having this exact same issues from the day I got the update as well. My biggest problem was the audio completely going on phone calls. At first I thought it was an issue on my end so I dealt with it for almost a week until I finally was fed up with having to reset my phone to make and receive phone calls.  On May 23 I walked into my local store and they did a hard reset on the phone.  He said to come back in if it started again.  It was no more than 24 hours before it started again.  However because I wanted it to be having this issue when I brought it back in I waited till I was at a point where the phone call was not important and I could go without restarting it to show them the exact issue.  My husband took my phone that was no more than 1 month old at this point and they pulled a brand new phone out of box for me on June 6th.  Less than 24 hours later on June 7th I was on the phone with Verizon with the exact same issue.  They had me do a hard reset and here we are today and I just got off the phone with them with audio issues once again.    The guy said there has been no reports other than mine about this issue.  Well this post alone is proof.  I will also start another thread to get people who have this issue to put their name out there.  Apparently because there have been no reported issues (so not believing that at all) this issue will not be getting fixed most likely.   I am so frustrated because now they want to give me a certified used Eris as a replacement.  I'm about to say you can take my data plan and my phone off from my husbands account and I'll go else where even though it's not what I want :smileysad:

0 Likes
MythicalWagyu

RE: a factory reset - it did magical things to my phone for a few days, but slowly things have actually gotten *worse* than before the factory reset. The level 2 tech rep with Verizon that instructed me on how to reset told me that it wipes the internal memory, which will remove the update - however, it automatically reinstalls the OTA update, and my phone was running 2.1 after the factory reset - no way to go back to 1.5 other than to get a refub unit that has not had 2.1 installed on it. 

0 Likes
MythicalWagyu

The 2.1 update was so awesome at first, but it's rendered my phone completely unusable as a phone, and even most of the smartphone functions are wonky or broken unless I'm coming off a fresh restart of the device.

My audio drops constantly (no sound on either end of the call, but you can see the call connecting), sometimes the keypad lag is so bad it takes ~30-60 seconds between key presses for anything to happen and another 2-5 minutes to actually dial a number; the contacts are all wonky, the call history app murders the processor (will lock up for 1-2 minutes), if I hit the edit button while viewing a contact, it brings up every contact in my phone (including facebook crap I didn't add) and asks me which contact I want to edit (how about the one I was already on??). The battery life is rubbish, Google navigation randomly quits and then restarts later, it's impossible to assign speed dial numbers (you can assign but it never saves them) and sometimes I can't get the mobile network to connect unless I turn it off & on 4 or 5 times in a row. 

Verizon's solution is to send me a refurbished HTC Eris that may or may not have the original software on it - they don't know how long it's been sitting on the shelf. I was advised to skip the 2.1 update if the phone comes with Android 1.5 but that's completely unacceptable in my opinion - from day one I was told the Eris would be update-able and I never would have purchased it at any price if I thought it would be stuck with Android 1.5; I would've happily waited until I could purchase a Droid Incredible but the Eris was so cheap and I was already 1 year past my upgrade date that I figured what the hell, I'd enjoy the Eris until my next renew date and get the latest greatest flavor of Android then - what a mistake! 

Next time, I'll be purchasing at Costco, where they actually let you return defective items for a refund or exchange... (90 days to do so as well, instead of the paltry 30 from Verizon, and no $35 restocking fee that Verizon charges - which is almost as much as I paid for the **bleep** Eris). I have little doubt the replacement Eris will be no better than the one I'm sending back - I just wonder how long I'll be in limbo, shelling out $80/month without having a usable phone...

0 Likes