Help! Motorola Droid Stopped Downloading from Market.
droid89

I have a Motorola Droid with Android 2.01

Starting yesterday it froze when downloading apps from Android Market.  It shows apps as "Starting Download" with progress bar with no progress.  I have like 10 apps now, including updates to installed apps, all in queue as Starting Download with no progress.  Has been like this for two days now.

I have force closed apps, turned phone off, taken out battery.  Nothing fixes the problem

How do I fix without factory reset/hard reset to factory settings?
0 Likes
Re: Help! Motorola Droid Stopped Downloading from Market.
brandonj
Enthusiast - Level 2

Your best option at this point might be a hard reset. Make sure that your current information is syncing with Google and it will be a pretty easy process. Also be sure that you have all of your pictures are saved on the MicroSD card. You can save your contacts to your MicroSD card by going to Contacts > Menu Key > Import/Export > Export to SD card.

Check Sync: Settings > Accounts & Sync > (your e-mail) located under "Manage Accounts" > All 3 boxes should be checked and the dates should be recent.

Hard Reset: Settings > Privacy > Factory Data Reset

These steps are for the Motorola Droid.

0 Likes
PPC_Dude
Contributor - Level 2

droid89 wrote:

I have a Motorola Droid with Android 2.01

Starting yesterday it froze when downloading apps from Android Market.  It shows apps as "Starting Download" with progress bar with no progress.  I have like 10 apps now, including updates to installed apps, all in queue as Starting Download with no progress.  Has been like this for two days now.

I have force closed apps, turned phone off, taken out battery.  Nothing fixes the problem

How do I fix without factory reset/hard reset to factory settings?

Before I went the hard reset route I would try Menu > Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > Menu > Filter > All, scroll to Market and select it, then select "Clear Cache".  Reboot the phone afterwards and then retry the downloads.

0 Likes
brandonj
Enthusiast - Level 2

+1 Forgot the Clear Data applies to just about anything! ha..

0 Likes
fezzik
Contributor - Level 3

How many apps do you have now?  It may be that the available space is used up.  Remember the 256 mb of application memory you may be the first person I have heard of to reach it but it sounds like that could be the issue. 

0 Likes
TheGreatOne
Master - Level 1

fezzik wrote:

How many apps do you have now?  It may be that the available space is used up.  Remember the 256 mb of application memory you may be the first person I have heard of to reach it but it sounds like that could be the issue. 

In that case the person can always go to settings-->applications-->manage applications-->menu-->sort by size

Delete the apps that are biggest to make more room for new apps. Or delete apps that you are no longer using as much

0 Likes
rlosee

I have this problem too, starting about the same time. I have 183MB of available storeage left  (menu-->SD  card & phone storage; internal phone storage available space 183MB). By downloads I mean all of it, including updates. I've 3 updates to do and none can download. This will quickly make this phone worthless if I'm stuck on even getting updates.

I'd be curious if others can no longer get Google Talk too as that also stopped working. I read today http://www.usatoday.com/tech/wireless/phones/2010-01-12-google-nexus-one_N.htm that Nexus phone support is having major issues with the ending quote from a market analyst I've followed for years saying Google's brand is at risk. I'd have to agree as I see these issues on forums for weeks with no resolution.

0 Likes
fezzik
Contributor - Level 3

Wow mine downloads from the market with no problems.  There may be a problem with your data connection or something.  That is really weird.  I assume none of the standard fixes work like battery pulls and turning off and then back on sync and data and what not.  I was having data issues and after a *228 option one then powercycle it seemed to fix it.  Try *228 option 1 and option 2 one after the other and restart after each.  It seems silly to have to restart for two reasons if it needed it to install it would cycle itself and it doesn't and Linux doesn't usually require restarts unless you install deep into the system like kernel patches and stuff usually but they insist and it seemed to help that cycling after a restart works. 

0 Likes
rlosee

I've found Market download and Google Talk issues in many different forums/groups including http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Android+Market/thread?fid=29e62c320e3549e400047d21e23f3bdc&hl=... Like prennix in this link I'm about to go to Verizon and like him I think it's a Google issue probably with their authorization/authentication processes. But how to get Google to help???

OBTW: yes I've powered off and rebooted. Haven't tried more dramatic pulling of batteries or clearing cache since I'm not hearing of success with those methods. Heck, even getting a new phone isn't helping.

0 Likes
fezzik
Contributor - Level 3

maybe something in your Gmail settings or google account settings.  I don't know what those may be but perhaps if you didn't have your account set to secure connection then when they forced secure connections on Gmail and google accounts because of that problem with China last week it might have affected the connection.  I know that seems like a stretch and it is but stranger conflicts have caused bigger problems and Linux can be oddly specific and picky about some things.  Not an acutal command but there are commands where run will not do anything because the command is Run.  So you might just check your google account settings and just see if anything is weird or maybe just change that secure connect setting. 

0 Likes