How Prevent Certain Apps from Running
Lovemagoo

Hi Again,

No matter what I do, certain apps always seem to come on even though i have not set them, activated them, etc...  They are the Mp3 store, corporate calendar, and others.  I use the app task killer & contantly shut them down.

Does anyone know why they always run and how i can disable them? 

Also - this may sound like a **bleep** question but i can't figure it out - how the heck to I just simply shut down a webpage?  There is no "x" in the corner.  When i hit the menu button & then click windows & turn it off (which seems like so many steps to turn off a webpage), i do this & then a new Google page automatically opens up.

I was thinking of going to the incredibel...but now i am leery b/c i have been reading the boards & it seems to have alot of problems....  thanks for your help.:smileyhappy:

0 Likes
Re: How Prevent Certain Apps from Running
logicman
Contributor - Level 3

Certain applications and processes are automatically started and there is no way to control that without taking extraordinary measures which can't be discussed here. This is less of an issue than you might think. Android is a very different OS than say Windows. Android was designed to efficiently manage system resources such as processor and memory. Processes that are loaded but not currently in use take few if any system resources. This is based on information in the Android Developer's guide. My advice is to ignore them and just let Android do what it was designed to do.

I'm sure you will get at least one response recommending you install a task killer and use it obsessively to kill every task you don't think needs to be running. Some people swear that your battery will last much longer, your phone will be more responsive, etc. Others say just the opposite. Using a task killer is your choice. My recommendation is to only kill an app that appears to be hung or is acting strangely.

0 Likes
Lovemagoo

Thank you for your help :smileyvery-happy:

Do you happen to have any advice how to "x" out a webpage other than pusing menu, etc....?

0 Likes
logicman
Contributor - Level 3

The Dolphin browser has that feature since it displays a tab for each browser window. However, the tabs chew up some screen real estate.

0 Likes
TheGreatOne
Master - Level 1

logicman wrote:

The Dolphin browser has that feature since it displays a tab for each browser window. However, the tabs chew up some screen real estate.

I did like the Dolphin browser because of the tabs. It reminded me of fire fox browser. However it took up too much space on my phone so I got rid of it.

0 Likes
Not applicable

I have the Advanced Task Killer.  I can't really tell any difference if I kill everything or leave it running.  I have mine setup to kill everything except Email, Gmail, and Messaging.  I usually hit it after browsing the internet.  Normally, when I am ready to put my phone down or in my pocket, I hit Home and press the power button to kill the screen.

0 Likes