Re: How do I remove a downloaded wallpaper
Wildman
Legend

Your kind of sending mix responces...   If its just a image that was sent to you it shouldnt required you to have the unknown sources option enabled because all you have to do is open the gallery and select image and use menu to set as wallpaper....   If you had to install the app deleting the installer from your sd card wont remove the app.

I think the main issue here is that you are unsure if it is a wallpaper file or a actual application that was installed...  Until you identify this information you may not recieve the correct answer quickly.

0 Likes
john51
Contributor - Level 1

Hi, it is an application as that is where I see it. It is under running applications. It is called Magic Smoke Wallpapers. When I look at it everything is greyed out and there is no option to uninstall it. Force Stop and cancel are greyed out and it says the app is not taking any space. At this point it doesn't appear to be something I can remove with out rooting the phone which I won't do.

I don't klnow if you can get get in to safe mode and uninstall an app like you can with Windows. Thannks for all of the suggestions.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Johnmccoy51, thank you for your inquiry. I appreciate the community helping to resolve this! John, normally applications will have the option to uninstall from the Applications section, which is where you went. Since this was downloaded outside of the Market, this is the only place to uninstall it. This phone does have a safe mode option. Try booting into safe mode to see if you have the option to uninstall. 

Enable Safe mode

1. Power the device off. 

2. Power the device on. 

3. When the Motorola Dual Core screen appears, simultaneously press and hold Volume Up / Down keys.

4. Continue to hold the Volume Up / Down keys until Safe mode appears in the lower left.

5. While in Safe Mode, remove the most recently installed applications.

6. Power cycle the device then attempt to use the device.

7. If the device works properly, install applications one at a time to identify the application causing the problem. 

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

johnmccoy51 wrote:

Hi, it is an application as that is where I see it. It is under running applications. It is called Magic Smoke Wallpapers. When I look at it everything is greyed out and there is no option to uninstall it. Force Stop and cancel are greyed out and it says the app is not taking any space. At this point it doesn't appear to be something I can remove with out rooting the phone which I won't do.

I don't klnow if you can get get in to safe mode and uninstall an app like you can with Windows. Thannks for all of the suggestions.

Magic Smoke Wallpapers? I thought that wallpaper was a stock Google live wallpaper. It came pre-installed or was added during a system update. From your description of everything being grayed out and no option to uninstall, it is a pre-installed stock application.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Ann is correct. Magic Smoke Wallpapers are the built in live wallpapers for Android. Check under the downloaded tab to see if you have another other wallpaper applications. Otherwise, this may be a picture and not an actual application. In that case, you can delete from your Gallery. 

0 Likes
SteelerFan
Contributor - Level 2

Thanks, there is nothing in the gallery and it is not under downloaded so if it is a carryover from the DroidX that would explain it. Can I do a full wipe and remove any options to back up my data and restore if I wanted to do that? It isn't hurting anything just curious more than anything.

Thanks for everyones time..

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Like Ann reported, I believe this is a stock Live Wallpaper and this is why you can not uninstall it and it did not get carried over from another device because it doesnt work that way because the file would be located in the devices internal memory that you cant access...

Are you looking under wallpaper or animated wallpaper areas?

Also out of curiousity is there a reason that you are worried about removing this wallpaper?  If it is a stock wallpaper a hard rest wont help anyway because its part of OS.

0 Likes
john51
Contributor - Level 1

Honestly I thought it was a rogue app from someone and not a wallpaper that came with the OS. I did look and see it under live wallpapers. There is nothing to worry and I do appreciate all of the responses. I never thought this was a wallpaper  :smileyhappy:  I will mark this as solved.

Thanks for everyone's help.

0 Likes