How to listen to books on DROID
dorajr

I have a subscription to audible.com and I like to listen to books on my commute, how can I do this on my DROID? HELP

0 Likes
Re: How to listen to books on DROID
willanaya
Contributor - Level 3

dorajr wrote:

I have a subscription to audible.com and I like to listen to books on my commute, how can I do this on my DROID? HELP

just make sure that the formats that the droid supports.  since they might be DRM'ed i doubt you could burn them and then turn around and rip it in a format that would be compatible with the droid, so hopefully its in a format fit for the droid. 

you could also contact audible.com and suggest that they look into this growing market and the need for a player suitable for their files.

0 Likes
mitc1111

I too had the problem of wanting to listen to my Audible.com books on my Droid phone.  At this time the Android OS isn't compatible with Audible.com.  I have a feeling it will be soon -- a lot of people are requesting it.

But in the mean time there is a work around.  You have to convert the Audible.com files (which end in .AA) to a MP3 format.  Sound Taxi Pro can do this.  Then you can listen on your Droid. 

You will have to install an app like Astro Play from the Market so you will have bookmarks ... but it's free.  Without bookmarks you will have to write down where you left off and forward to your current place everytime you listen.  Astro Play works great.

Note: I'm not sure if converting audible.com files to mp3 is breaking some kind of Audible.com service agreement.  you might want to check into that first.

0 Likes
fezzik
Contributor - Level 3

I talked to them a few weeks ago and from what they told me they were weighing the market.  Basically waiting to see if there is interest in an Android app.  I think several people have requested it the more that request it the better.  You can remove the DRM in various ways.  They will tell you that you can rip it to cd and listen to it in your car.  The cd player in my car has trouble with cd-r's (it is ancient like from the year I graduated high-school) but that did lead me to you could burn it to cd and then rip it to mp3 or ogg or flac or aac or whatever droid can handle. 

0 Likes
mitc1111

I never thought about burning it to CD then riping it to mp3 or whatever.  But  I already got Sound Taxi and with that I'm having no problem converting it straight from .AA to .mp3  (PS. my car player has trouble with CD-r as well ... and it's not that old)

0 Likes