Incredible: Backup Assistant: "server not found"
rigtenzin

I'm setting up my Incredible and I used Verizon backup assistant for my previous phone. I want to download contacts to my new phone, but when I run the Backup Assistant from my Incredible, I accept the agreement then it spins for a time, then the phone displays, "Unable to connect to server."

Any thoughts on how to cure this? FWIW, the phone is activated, I have gmail and exchange connected and setup Wifi is working, and my coverage is good. 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Incredible: Backup Assistant: "server not found"
TheGreatOne
Master - Level 1

Backup assistant is not compatible for the Incredible.This is what you'll have to do....

Download the Backup Assistant Application to your device.

1. Select “Get it Now” or “Media Center” from the device’s menu, then select either “Tools on the Go” or “Browse & Download”.

2. Select “Get New Applications”.

3. Select “Business Tools / Information”.

4. Select “Backup Assistant” and press OK.

After downloading the application follow the instructions for syncing your contacts to the Web.

1. Go to Verizon Wireless and log into My Verizon.  If you do not already have a My Verizon login and password select the “register” link.

2. On the My Verizon landing page select either “My Contacts” from the account actions on  the right side of the page, or the “Contacts” button at the top of the page..

3. Export the .csv file:
a. Select the contacts that you want to export. If you want to export the entire list use "Select All".

b. Select the "Export Contacts" function.

c. Select the option to export contacts in "CV (Outlook)" format.

4. Save the exported .csv file to your computer.

5. Go to mail.google.com and log in. You will need to register for an account if you do not already have one.

6. Select “Contacts” from the menu on the left side of the screen. Once on the contact page select “Import” in the upper right hand corner.

7. Follow system prompts to import your .csv file.

8. Activate your Android device.

9. Sign into your Gmail account on your DROID. Contacts will sync automatically over the air.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
TheGreatOne
Master - Level 1

Backup assistant is not compatible for the Incredible.This is what you'll have to do....

Download the Backup Assistant Application to your device.

1. Select “Get it Now” or “Media Center” from the device’s menu, then select either “Tools on the Go” or “Browse & Download”.

2. Select “Get New Applications”.

3. Select “Business Tools / Information”.

4. Select “Backup Assistant” and press OK.

After downloading the application follow the instructions for syncing your contacts to the Web.

1. Go to Verizon Wireless and log into My Verizon.  If you do not already have a My Verizon login and password select the “register” link.

2. On the My Verizon landing page select either “My Contacts” from the account actions on  the right side of the page, or the “Contacts” button at the top of the page..

3. Export the .csv file:
a. Select the contacts that you want to export. If you want to export the entire list use "Select All".

b. Select the "Export Contacts" function.

c. Select the option to export contacts in "CV (Outlook)" format.

4. Save the exported .csv file to your computer.

5. Go to mail.google.com and log in. You will need to register for an account if you do not already have one.

6. Select “Contacts” from the menu on the left side of the screen. Once on the contact page select “Import” in the upper right hand corner.

7. Follow system prompts to import your .csv file.

8. Activate your Android device.

9. Sign into your Gmail account on your DROID. Contacts will sync automatically over the air.
0 Likes
rigtenzin

Thanks for your thorough instructions. I followed them successfully. I've been using gmail for a few years, but never looked at the contacts. After seeing the gmail contacts screen, I have no idea how I got by. 

My phone's contacts synched immediately, but I couldn't see them in the lists I expected. To get them to show up, I went to the People application, displayed the menu, then tapped View and selected "Google". 

0 Likes