Moto Droid Mutes During Call
susandroid

I was wondering if anyone else is having problems with this, I've only had my Motorola Droid a couple days now, and whenever I'm on a call it will randomly mute.  I won't realize it until the person on the line starts saying "hello?" and the only way I've been able to fix it is to hang up in frustration and call back.  The screen doesn't lock during the call, so maybe my cheek is hitting the screen without my realizing?  Anyone have tips on how I can keep this from happening?  In all other respects I love my new phone, I'd hate to have to return it because of this.

0 Likes
Re: Moto Droid Mutes During Call
colfrmb

Yes, I have had the same problem.  I can't recreate it at will.  It just happens...sometimes.  Drives me crazy and I don't know if it is me, the hardware or the software.

0 Likes
rachtberg

I also have the same problem, I didn't know it was happening until I press on the speaker button. Have to remobe the bateery and power it up. Happens almost twice a week and I don't use my phone too often too. 

0 Likes
Girlracer74

Having this same problem. I thought at first it was happening when I "shoulder" the phone to talk on it without having to hold it. Not an ideal solution, but a temporary fix when this happens - You can real quickly hit the back arrow. Once the screen shows the "live call" screen again the caller can hear you but I am not sure why it does it in the first place. It's happened so much now that the people I most commonly talk with just wait a minute for me to get it back to the right screen. Very annoying.

0 Likes
syrcaid

This has happened to me at least 3-4 times.  I believe my ear is hitting the mute button on the touch screen when I'm talking.  Every time I've noticed it, if I immediately look at the screen and hit the button again, I can fix it.  Problem is realizing it's happened before they hang up!

0 Likes
AFguy
Contributor - Level 2

Your ear shouldn't be hitting anything on the touch screen as the droid has a proximity sensor that turns the screen off when you hold the phone up to your ear.  If your screen is not turning off, then something is wrong with the proximity sensor in your phone.

0 Likes
EvilLemon

It sounds like there are two issues here:

1. You, the person with the phone, cannot be heard

2. You cannot hear the person on the other end.

I'm experiencing the latter.  It seems to work fine when I pop it onto speakerphone, but tha'ts pretty annoying to do every time.  If anyone has a solution, I'd love to hear it.

0 Likes
appsbeyond

Screen Suite app has a lock screen that can be configured to lock your screen during a call preventing the "cheek" muting issue.  It locks your screen while dialing out, or on answering an incoming call.  It also has a collection of other screeen utilities.  Check it out:

Android Screen Suite App

0 Likes
hduns

I have had this problem as well.  It drives me CRAZY! I saw the post on the screen locking when something is close to the sensor - I've tried this and see that the sensor is working, but it still happens while i'm on calls.

I think the problem is not that I'm muting the call, but hitting something that starts to conference in another number (which puts the first person on mute while you're dialing the new number).

I will try the ScreenSuite mentioned in an earlier post, but is there any way that Verizon/Motorola/Google can offer an update to the software that will prevent this, or at least give users the option to change a setting which will prevent it? Like the earlier post said, people I speak with frequently just know to wait a bit until I get back to them now.  I have to preface every one of my calls with a disclaimer about "giving me 15 seconds to fix the phone if it seems like I've dropped off".

0 Likes
colfrmb

I installed Screen Suite and I haven't muted or dropped a call in FIVE DAYS (that's a record for me).  I do have to swipe twice to unlock but I am having much better calling now!  Android should add a setting a call setting that is like a hard lock for the call app.  It can be done. 

0 Likes