Motorola Droid discharging battery at night when turned off?
Offroader

Hi folks,

I'm stumped, the past three nights I've had my phone discharge the battery any where between full discharge and 15% remaining after turning it off for the night.

I've turned of GPS and WIFI except for only when using them, am managing the screen display using the power widget as well and leaving it at the lowest setting and when I've gone to bed I've turned the phone off (press and hold power, tap the power down option on the screen) at this time the battery could be anywhere from 70-100%.

When I wake up and turn the phone on, the battery is way down and battery use displays the top two "users" as Android System and Android OS.

My questions are:

Is this thing not really turning off and just "hibernating"?

Is there some setting somewhere that I haven't found that causes it mysteriously turn on?

Is it normal?

Is the battery a lemon?

I'm going to give Verizon a call, but I don't want to hear "hmmm, we've never heard of that one" until I check here.

Thanks,

Scott

0 Likes
Re: Motorola Droid discharging battery at night when turned off?
willanaya
Contributor - Level 3

i know my Droid, or Charlene (that is the name she told me she would like to be referred as)

Charlene has a night life after i go to sleep.  i think she goes out clubbing and fortunately makes it back in time in the morning.  i think that is where most of my battery power is going.

kidding

seriously, kidding

no really. the Droid is hibernating.  its like a pda with a phone but only better.  you might want to delete all your apps (dont worry cuz the ones you bought more than 24 hours ago are your permanantly and can be reloaded later). then add one app at a time to see if you spot any unusual power drainage.  but please make sure your gps is off at night. i turn mine off at night (i think Charlene turns it back on when she goes out) and notice very little power drainage in the morning.

if you still are getting the same power usage, go and replace the phone. it could be a defective phone, battery, or phone/battery.

remember this investment is worth the extra effort.

0 Likes
willanaya
Contributor - Level 3

oh and by the way

ONLY YOU CAN PREVENT A FOREST FIRE.

ONLY YOU OFFROADER. ONLY YOU......

0 Likes
Offroader

I'm going to fully charge tonight and pull the battery to see what happens with the battery itself, I've been sort of wondering if the battery itself isn't bad.

What is really weird though is that I fully charged it yesterday AM, used it during the day on 3G (no wifi) with SMS, browser, email and messing around with apps and it discharged 20%, it was overnight that it seemed to tank.  Also, have auto-synch turned off.

Maybe I'll name mine Chucky, considering the way it's acting.

0 Likes
sroach23

with gps, bluetooth, and wi-fi off along with my screen at medium strength the phone is at 60% after 2 days.

0 Likes
Offroader

Well, as long as I leave mine on and under what is normal use for me, the battery has decent life.  The problem has to do when it is turned off.

I pulled the battery out last night and when I replaced it this morning, it was still at 80%.  This leads me to believe that one of two issues are present:

1 - After being off for an extended period of time, the phone doesn't properly recognize the battery level.  I still need to check/prove this by removing and replacing battery after the phone has been off.

2 - There is an electrical issue in this particular device (and some others) where the battery is drained when the phone is off for an extended period of time. 

Anyhow, I've seen others have the same issue and it appears to be resolved with a device exchange at the store, that's where I'm headed some time today.

0 Likes
Michele-VzW
Contributor - Level 2

Offroader wrote:

Well, as long as I leave mine on and under what is normal use for me, the battery has decent life.  The problem has to do when it is turned off.

I pulled the battery out last night and when I replaced it this morning, it was still at 80%.  This leads me to believe that one of two issues are present:

1 - After being off for an extended period of time, the phone doesn't properly recognize the battery level.  I still need to check/prove this by removing and replacing battery after the phone has been off.

2 - There is an electrical issue in this particular device (and some others) where the battery is drained when the phone is off for an extended period of time. 

Anyhow, I've seen others have the same issue and it appears to be resolved with a device exchange at the store, that's where I'm headed some time today.

Let us know the outcome!

0 Likes
Offroader

Exchanged my Droid for a new one at the VZW store yesterday and the new phone works great, no battery drain when powered off.

If you're having the same problem, take it to the Verizon Store or call and have it replaced.

0 Likes
Michele-VzW
Contributor - Level 2

Offroader wrote:

Exchanged my Droid for a new one at the VZW store yesterday and the new phone works great, no battery drain when powered off.

If you're having the same problem, take it to the Verizon Store or call and have it replaced.

OffRoader

Glad to hear that you were taken care of in the store.  Anyone else having this issue?  Maybe it was a bad batch...

P.S. Are you really an offroader?

0 Likes
Offroader

Michelle,

Yes, I am really an offroader.  Live in Colorado and take ATVs and 4x4s into the mountains every chance I get.

Scott

0 Likes