Need Help Understanding the Kill App Application
TJ67

Hello Anyone out there,

I bought a new phone a few days ago and it was suggested that I load the free Kill Apps Application (picture of a little green droid with the x on it).  I notice that each time I press it, it will show a certain number of apps killed even when I haven't opened apps any apps.  It also shows a number of memory left, which decreases everytime I use the app.  Can someone please tell me what I'm doing and why?  And also, what memory is it referring to when I use it.  How often should I kill apps?  I guess when I purchased the phone it was way to much info for me to retain.

Thanks,

TJ67

0 Likes
Re: Need Help Understanding the Kill App Application
budone
Legend

Personally I would not and do not run an app killer. It is a battery killer.  Linux (the OS is based on it) likes memory being used. If too much is there, Linux shuts down apps that do not need to run.

if you do a search under my ID I have a better explanation out there.

0 Likes
LoydroidX
Contributor - Level 3

TJ67 wrote:

Hello Anyone out there,

I bought a new phone a few days ago and it was suggested that I load the free Kill Apps Application (picture of a little green droid with the x on it).  I notice that each time I press it, it will show a certain number of apps killed even when I haven't opened apps any apps.  It also shows a number of memory left, which decreases everytime I use the app.  Can someone please tell me what I'm doing and why?  And also, what memory is it referring to when I use it.  How often should I kill apps?  I guess when I purchased the phone it was way to much info for me to retain.

Thanks,

TJ67

When I was having some serious battery drainage issues, the Verizon tech added Advanced Task Killer to my phone.  He suggested I manually kill apps each time I use the phone.  I agree with you about the number of apps killed or not killed and the varying memory numbers...never understood that.  I followed the tech's advice for a few weeks and my battery life improved.  But then I tried not killing apps for a week or so, and I did not notice any significant change in battery life or operating issues.  There are some people who swear by task killers, some people who avoid task killers at all costs, and some...like me, who see no difference one way or the other. 

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

i used a killer for months and then got rid of it for months. i monitor my battery closely. there was no difference in battery life or performance.....so i've left it off.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

I am a dedicated Advance Task Killer user, I have learned that as long as you do not close system apps and set system to close all unused apps only when the device screen is turned off the battery drain is minimal and battery life will improve..  As long as you follow these rules yoou should notice a nice improvement.

0 Likes