No Video With Google Talk on Droid 3
Hemway

Just got my wife the new Droid 3 that's running Android 2.3.4. This is the version of Android that is supposed to support video with Google Talk. Tried starting Talk and only thing I can do is messaging with Talk. No video option like on my Thrive tablet.

What's the Deal Google?Verizon/Motorola?

0 Likes
Re: No Video With Google Talk on Droid 3
Wildman
Legend

Sounds like you are confused on how things work with software, it takes more than a supported OS to make a app function, the hardware has to be supported also, if the developers havent test the software with the device there isnt any guarantees that the app will work.  If the Droid 3 isnt listed as a supported device you will still have to wait for the software and hardware has been tested and verified as supported.

0 Likes
Hemway

I know how software works and how companies have a habit of delivering products before they are ready, i.e. "get the device approved for software that is loaded on a device".

Based on what I found on the Motorola frequently asked questions page, see below, It appears that Motorola tried but right now it's in Google's & Verizon's court. Because of Google's urge to keep their products a step ahead of their competitors, I'd be surprised if it was them holding up approval.

Google Talk video chat

DROID 3 by Motorola will not support Google Talk videochat at the time of market launch.  We are excited about the potential of videochat to enrich the Motorola smartphone experience, and we are working actively with Google and Verizon Wireless to enable this feature as soon as possible.

While we do not endorse or guarantee these solutions, or provide support for them, some owners have reported success using a 3rd party Android Application like "Tango".  You can search the Android Market for 3rd party applications that are available that will enable you to video chat. 

Here's the link to the info above: "https://motorola-enterprise.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/69514/~/droid-3---google-talk"

0 Likes
DbG2514
Contributor - Level 3

Google Talk and compatibility with the Droid 3 all falls on the app developers for Google Talk.

If it says that Tango is compatible, just download Tango to the phone and download Tango on the computer, and you can video chat that way. They are both free.

0 Likes
Hemway

I really don't want to introduce another video chat app to my circle of family and friends, most of which use PC's for video chatting. I can wait to for them to approve video with Google Talk and/or Skype. If I want to chat and I'm away, I can use my Toshiba Thrive.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Since Google Talk with Video isnt a stock installed software the support device aspect of the app is more or less on Google lap not Motorola or Verizons because the app is more handles like a 3rd party app that a user can choose to install or not and this can cause capatibility issues.   If the developer hasnt tested to app for OS and hardware bugs there isnt anything Verizon or Motorola can due to change this so the only solution is to sit back and wait and see what will come from Google in future updates.

0 Likes