Not receiving POP3 messages in Samsung Galaxy
dbalch

I'm a smart phone newbie.  I just bought a Samsung Galaxy.  I successfully set up my POP 3 email account that I use with Microsoft Outlook.

This morning the Galaxy only received three of eight messages that came into my desktop Outlook inbox.  And all three disappeared from the Galaxy, one before I even opened it.

I googled around and read some posts of people having the same problem.  Is this thing just lousy or am I doing something wrong.  I'm pretty sure I set up my incoming and outgoing servers properly, because I did receive 3 emails.

thanks in advance

0 Likes
Re: Not receiving POP3 messages in Samsung Galaxy
budone
Legend

Part of the issue is if your PC is set to remove messages from the server when it downloads,

Say for example this morning you see three messages on your phone. But you do not open them. Then in the mean time you download those messages to your PC. Once removed from the server, when you attempt to look at the messages on the phone, they can not be found as they are already gone so they will disappear from the phone also.

In addition you may have seen only 3 out of 7 messages because of how often the phone is set up to check for mail. You may have downloaded the message to your PC before the phone even attempted to look.

As a side note, with most email systems the outgoing mail settings on a phone will be different than your PC. So if you find you can not send mail, you will have to either ask here or do a google search for your email providers mobile phone settings.

0 Likes
dbalch

I solved this by calling Samsung tech support, which was excellent.

The problem is that the default email client that comes with the Fascinate wasn't robust enough interface successfully with my email company GoDaddy.  I downloaded one of the popular Android 3rd party email clients, K-9 and it picked up my mail right away.

0 Likes
Indianchief
Contributor - Level 1

Just curious about K-9 before I download it........Is it still working good and picking up all your emails?  Thanks for your help

0 Likes
budone
Legend

The reason they would disappear is, once you retrieve the messages with your desktop, most people have their mail set up to delete the message from the server.

So if you check your phone and see subject lines and try to open the email AFTER you have already downloaded the message to your desktop, there is nothing for the phone to retrieve.

0 Likes