Problem downloading apps updates to SD card on LG Ally
jimswife

This is my first post on this forum, so please forgive me if I ask an obvious question.  I did a search on this topic, but didn't find it.

I have moved several apps to my SD card, and they work great.  However, whenever I try to download an update, it says it can install on SD card (even though in permissions these same apps can write to the SD Card).  So, I have to move the apps back to the phone, download the updates, then move them back again.

Am I asking the impossible of my Ally?  Is there no way to install the updates once the apps are on the SD card?  Or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Problem downloading apps updates to SD card on LG Ally
Mama2KBR
Enthusiast - Level 3

The file name that I've deleted to "fix" the problem before is the "android_secure_smdl2tmp1" file. (I can't remember the EXACT layout of the file name but the smdl2tmp1 is the main part I deleted.) You have to connect your phone to a computer via USB cord, unmount the SD card to find it though. I've yet to find it via a file explorer app. Don't forget to "Safely remove hardware" from your computer BEFORE disconnecting it & remount the SD card! I've known people who have forgotten to do that and have lost all of their apps & pictures! Oops!  :smileysurprised:

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend
This is becoming a on going issue with all files stored on a sd card.. usually moving to phone helps or eject card and do update without card and then set app back to sd card.. Also there is a file that can be deleted from card that sometimes works bit I am drawing a blank of file name or location at the moment.
0 Likes
Mama2KBR
Enthusiast - Level 3

The file name that I've deleted to "fix" the problem before is the "android_secure_smdl2tmp1" file. (I can't remember the EXACT layout of the file name but the smdl2tmp1 is the main part I deleted.) You have to connect your phone to a computer via USB cord, unmount the SD card to find it though. I've yet to find it via a file explorer app. Don't forget to "Safely remove hardware" from your computer BEFORE disconnecting it & remount the SD card! I've known people who have forgotten to do that and have lost all of their apps & pictures! Oops!  :smileysurprised:

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Now that you gave me name again, I remember the directory...

\sdcard\.android_secure\smdl2tmp1.asec

Also you can delete this from device but under the file browser you have to use root explorer or Astro to see the directory....

0 Likes
Mama2KBR
Enthusiast - Level 3

Wildman wrote:

Now that you gave me name again, I remember the directory...

\sdcard\.android_secure\smdl2tmp1.asec

Also you can delete this from device but under the file browser you have to use root explorer or Astro to see the directory....

Wildman, apparently I've been looking in the wrong places or something when using Astro. I've installed it (and uninstalled it) twice to get rid of that file. I have File Expert now which is much smaller than Astro and has a more "user friendly" UI when it comes to general file management. (At least that's my opinion anyway.) I do have to admit that it DOES look as if Astro is making improvements with regard to their UI appearance.

Oops, detrailed. My point was that I still couldn't flippin' find that file in Astro. I'd get disgusted after a while. I still can't find it with File Expert either. Every blasted time (with both apps) I could get to the \sdcard\.android_secure\ ..... and then it would be blank... empty, void, nuttin! *sigh* Once I'd link my phone with the USB cable to my laptop, sure shootin' there was that stupid file, right there.

Apparently I'm a file managing app dunderhead or something. :smileysad:

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
I think Astro file explorer needs additional permissions to full access the ".android_secure" folder. Permissions the average user does not have on their phone. The same permission that Voids the phone's warranty in Verizon's eyes.

I see the same thing you see, Mama2KBR, when I look at that folder with the Estrongs file explorer on my Tbolt. I can see the contents with my Droid Eris using Estrongs, but that phone has been modified.

It would better and non-voiding to connect the phone to the computer, mount the sd card and use the computer's file explorer to navigate to the necessary folder to delete the temp file.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Mama2KBR
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ann154 wrote:
I think Astro file explorer needs additional permissions to full access the ".android_secure" folder. Permissions the average user does not have on their phone. The same permission that Voids the phone's warranty in Verizon's eyes.

I see the same thing you see, Mama2KBR, when I look at that folder with the Estrongs file explorer on my Tbolt. I can see the contents with my Droid Eris using Estrongs, but that phone has been modified.

It would better and non-voiding to connect the phone to the computer, mount the sd card and use the computer's file explorer to navigate to the necessary folder to delete the temp file.

Ahhh.... Additional permissions information understood. I'm a chicken and fear running into a brickwall when crossing that road so I won't even attempt the inquiry for such permissions.

Heck, I'm even worried about the whole thing with the Gingerbreak update that's on the horizon for my Droid 2. I just KNOW I'm going to screw SOMETHING up and will lose everything. LOL

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Actually Ann the permission isnt the issue, I forgot to post that you have to go into settings and check option to show system files and the folder should show, I have my copy backed up with settings so when I install it the option is already checked...

Also I just looked on my device and I just relized that that option is no longer in setting and I cant see the directory anymore either but I usually could...   Havent had to go to that directory since my Droid X that I didnt realize the app has changed..

Oh well, glad you got the issue resolved and thats all that matters...

Mama2KBR wrote:

Heck, I'm even worried about the whole thing with the Gingerbreak update that's on the horizon for my Droid 2. I just KNOW I'm going to screw SOMETHING up and will lose everything. LOL

May want to check out MyBackup to back up data before doing update when it comes..

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.rerware.android.MyBackupPro&feature=search_result

0 Likes
jimswife

Thanks everyone!  I connected my Ally to my PC and was able to delete the file successfully!  You have all saved me from throwing my phone against a wall!!!  :smileyvery-happy:

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Glad to hear the wall did not get to see a close up of your phone :smileysurprised::smileyvery-happy:

0 Likes