Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring your phone. Plus, waived smartphone activation fee when you buy online. Limited time offer.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Protecting my Identity...Why do Android Applications need access to all my information?
cem95z
Novice

I went to install a silly application, Cat sounds. I got very curious when I read that this application has access to the following: Your location, Your personal information, Network communication, Phone calls.

For some applications, I can see why they need certian information... but for Cat Sounds??? I just can't see it.

What kind of information am I really giving up when I download applications? Is this a way for developers of applications to get your information legally?

needless to say, I have not downloaded that application... but have seen similar things on other applications. I appreciate the idea of an open marketplace for applications, but am concerned about identy theft. (I know... if I give it to them, it is not theft, so I guess I am concerned about protecting myself and those that I have on my phone.)

0 Likes
Re: Protecting my Identity...Why do Android Applications need access to all my information?
cem95z
Novice

update: I found an app that requires access to Storage: Modify/Delete SD card contents.

This is scary to me. What will this app modify or delete from my droid? I did not download it.

What is safe? What is not? Is this a problem with an open marketplace?

0 Likes
Re: Protecting my Identity...Why do Android Applications need access to all my information?
fezzik
Novice

I haven't gotten the phone yet another week before I can.  It sounds like a standard warning.  Basically Google and Verizon are covering themselves on the issue.  If you download an app you should know that that app could have access to your information in your phone.  Some of them require it to work those are the ones they are warning you about.  Silly fun stuff just runs.  However, you should know that some apps will have info.  Most of the apps are open source so it is a little more difficult to sneak stuff by especially if it is a popular download.  The ones that have access to your SD card should be apps that need to store or access media files stored on the SD card.  With the 512 meg limit for applications media information has to be stored on the SD card and any app that needs access to those files or read/write access like document viewers modifiers or email or music files or whatever need to have read/write access to your sd card to function properly. 

0 Likes
Backnblack

You might need to make a Hat.....

0 Likes
cem95z
Novice

I can understand some apps needing access to my data... Google Sky needs access to my location to operate. That is fine. However, I don't understand an app needing access to my phone calls, my personal information (contact data), services that cost me money (send SMS messages), modify/delete from the sd card...

I guess that I will just watch what I download.

0 Likes