Question about Droid Eris battery
hope12839
Enthusiast - Level 2

I know that the battery that comes with the Droid Eris is a 1300mah lipo; on the web I have found some 1750mah lipos for the Eris for around $50  How much improvement will that add to battery life over the stock 1300mah?

Also, will the upcoming 2.1 update help improve battery life as well? I read somewhere that it would; is that true?

0 Likes
Re: Question about Droid Eris battery
TheGreatOne
Master - Level 1

I'd recommend trying one of the apps first in the android market. Check out the app called Power Manager Full

0 Likes
hope12839
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yeah, I've heard that suggstion before and though it may help, I've also read that the improvement in battery life is minimal. The specs for the Eris claim that it has 214 minutes battery life which is  3 and a half hours, the worst battery life of any smartphone and/or android phone! I want to improve that figure to at the very least 5 hours and preferrably 6 which is far more like it. I know that with batteries the higher the mah number, the longer the battery life/runtime. So it would seem that going to a 1750mah lipo would be a good improvement; thta's a 450mah improvement over the stock Eris battery! I was hoping that someone out there had tried one in the Eris and could tell me how well it works in extending battery life.

Also, what about my other question concerning the 2.1 upgrade as to whether or not that would also improve battery performance. I read somewhere that it did; I would  like some confirmation if possible. Anyone out there know the answer?

0 Likes
Dangerous_Dave
Contributor - Level 2

hope12839 wrote:

Yeah, I've heard that suggstion before and though it may help, I've also read that the improvement in battery life is minimal. The specs for the Eris claim that it has 214 minutes battery life which is  3 and a half hours, the worst battery life of any smartphone and/or android phone! I want to improve that figure to at the very least 5 hours and preferrably 6 which is far more like it. I know that with batteries the higher the mah number, the longer the battery life/runtime. So it would seem that going to a 1750mah lipo would be a good improvement; thta's a 450mah improvement over the stock Eris battery! I was hoping that someone out there had tried one in the Eris and could tell me how well it works in extending battery life.

Also, what about my other question concerning the 2.1 upgrade as to whether or not that would also improve battery performance. I read somewhere that it did; I would  like some confirmation if possible. Anyone out there know the answer?

Not sure how long you've actualy had your Eris now, or how much you've used it, but raw numbers don't always tell the tale. I feel I use my Eris a "generous" amount through the course of the day and have had it for over two months now. I can count the number of times my battery hasn't lasted through the day on one hand with fingers to spare. I did however just pick up a 1500mah hour battery off Ebay for $9.99 with free shipping, and it claims to be a genuine HTC battery. Like you, I'm assuming there will be some noticeable improvement in battery life. In my book, a 200 mah gain for 10 bucks is a bargain. $50 to gain 450 mah seems like alot to me, but I suppose that's a matter of opinion. I guess my real point is, if you're battery shopping just because of the spec given in the book for talk time, you might want to give the oem battery a chance first, and see if you really need that much more battery before plopping down half of what the phone costs.  I also read on another forum that some of the 1750 mah batteries on Ebay are actually a little thick and make the back case cover bulge slightly, or not fit correctly, so keep that in mind.

As far as 2.1 improving battery life, well...it's supposed to, but only time will tell. Understand that the only Eris's currently running 2.1 are doing so "unofficially", and that version may not be truly representative of what Verizon ultimately unleashes. I put the "leaked" 2.1 on my wife's Eris, and asked her this evening about battery life, but I think the jury is still out.  I don't know if any of this helps any, but it's all I've got for you.

D Dave

0 Likes
hope12839
Enthusiast - Level 2

D Dave, thanks for your help. Where on Ebay do I find this 1500mah battery for $9.99? What do I look under?

Please let me know how you make out with the 1500mah battery. also keep checking with your wife to see if the 2.1 makes a difference as well.

The 1750mah battery that i previously described is claimed to be the same thickness as the stock battery,but having said that, I agree that $50 for 450mah is a bit high; so I am interested in how well the $9.99 1500mah battery works out not only regarding talk-time but also how good the overall quality is.

Please keep me informed on this thread.

Thank you

0 Likes
Dangerous_Dave
Contributor - Level 2

hope12839 wrote:

D Dave, thanks for your help. Where on Ebay do I find this 1500mah battery for $9.99? What do I look under?

Please let me know how you make out with the 1500mah battery. also keep checking with your wife to see if the 2.1 makes a difference as well.

The 1750mah battery that i previously described is claimed to be the same thickness as the stock battery,but having said that, I agree that $50 for 450mah is a bit high; so I am interested in how well the $9.99 1500mah battery works out not only regarding talk-time but also how good the overall quality is.

Please keep me informed on this thread.

Thank you

Well here's the link http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180472384463&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT , and he appears to have several of them.  I figured for 10 bucks, I'd take the chance.  It's coming from Hong Kong, so it may be a few weeks before I get it, but I'll try to remember to come back to this thread once I get it.

D Dave

0 Likes
hope12839
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks again. I went to Ebay and looked at your battery and others; very impressed!

Please don't forget to get back to me on this thread and let me know how that battery works out after you have had a chance to try it out. Also let me know if the 2.1 makes a difference on your wifes' Eris

0 Likes