Remote Access to my PC
bowens2
Enthusiast - Level 3

Does anyone know of any free or cheap remote access apps that you can use on the Android to access your PC remotely/ I use Logmein and Logmein Pro from my laptop but they won't work on my phone. Any suggestions? Other than that I really like the phone so far but I really thought I would be able to access my PCs on the road. I just switched from the Blackberry Pearl which I liked too except for the small screen.

0 Likes
Re: Remote Access to my PC
yewslus

For me, the solution was simple...

I have VNC Server installed on my home PC for access from my laptop abroad.  It required me to purchase one license, think it was $29.99.  But it allows me access from any computer that has the VNC client.

Where am I going with this?  Well, the Market has VCN lite (free!).  Works great, can't wait for more advanced VNC apps.

0 Likes
traviz

Have you ever used LogMeIn?  Does your VNC setup work just as well as that?  Trying to get an idea of the speed and the ease-of-use.

0 Likes
yewslus

I have used LogMeIn before, and it works well, just decided on VNC because it's used on a lot of my customer's networks, and I need it to access them.  Happy with VNC as well.  Not sure if LogMeIn does streaming audio in the connection, but VNC does not.

Speed is great, functionality is great, haven't had any issues.

Also found a nice FTP app that lets me connect to my filesystem at home, called AndFTP

I recommend VNC.

0 Likes
bowens2
Enthusiast - Level 3

Will I be able to access my screens just like Logmein? Can I just do a search for VNC Server? I currently use logmein for nine computers (some I use logmein Pro and some Logmein Free). I am often asked to look at relatives computers like my sisters, my Dad, and then we have three PCs plus my **bleep** system at our Family business that I often need to access while not in my office. I volunteer at a Animal Shelter and I am often interupted about problems with these computers and spend precious time trying to walk people thru their problems. This would be so nice if I can get it to work. I thought Logmein would work was so surprised when it didn't. I have searched for other programs but they are very expensive! If Logmein Ignition for the IPhone is unbelievable but I guess it is meant more for large companies with IT techs and such.

Thanks for your help. It is greatly appreciated.

0 Likes
bowens2
Enthusiast - Level 3

Wow. Why did it bleep **bleep**?

0 Likes
bowens2
Enthusiast - Level 3

OK how about if I say cash register system instead

0 Likes
traviz

Not being able to use LogMeIn was a big roadblock for me in getting a Droid.  If VNC works okay that might be a good alternative.  Thanks for the info!

0 Likes
yewslus

VNC might not be the right choice for your needs.  Each user generally needs the client/server software on their computer.  It is a pretty small install, though, and they do have a free version.  I think the only thing the free version doesn't support is secure connections.

Maybe it will work for you.  My advice is to at least experiment.  Let me know how you do:  yewslus@gmail.com

0 Likes
bowens2
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yewslus

I went back an read your post again. You say you use it from you laptop, can you use it from your Android?

0 Likes