Security Apps Free or Pay what's the Best out there..
B33
Legend

I recently got a security app from Avast it was the non cost one but with Premium it would cost $ 1.99/month or pay $14.99/year but my Question is Does paying really get ya any better protection and is there better security apps than that of Avast..

I always thought it was a good at securing PC's but i wonder if the same holds true in the cellphones..

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Security Apps Free or Pay what's the Best out there..
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

While I like AVG (I use it on my home computer), their mobile app is not that desirable as it slows down the device quite a bit. I have seen this question pop up from time to time but quite frankly forgot where it came up. I like the Lookout app. It is and has been rated as number 1 by quite a few magazines over the past 2 years and it has caught some stuff on my sons phone

View solution in original post

rcschnoor
Legend

I prefer Lookout for my android phones. This is a free app/service however they do have a premium service should you choose to subscribe.

B33
Legend

I was looking at that but I didn't know for sure if it had allot of restrictions in it heck the one I chose might have but I thought I'd at least give it a Try.. I heard that look out stop allot of stuff or Junk is that true & how does work when your surfing the internet Rc does it do a good job of stopping ads and that kind of stuff.. I see them every once in while i'm on there..

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

You would have to be a bit more specific with what you are asking.

What junk are you asking if it stops? Nothing ever pops up on my screen which I do not initiate. Is this what you mean? Are you asking if it stops me from accessing a website it has determined to be junk? I am not sure what you mean by stopping "junk".

What ads do you mean, too? If an ad is a part of a website, it does not block those. I do not have popups appearing when I go to websites, though. However I don't go to a lot of websites which I am not aware of ahead of time. Once again, what ads are you asking if it stops?

While I do not subscribe to the premium version, it does have "safe browsing" included in it.

rcschnoor
Legend

I suppose what I am saying is that as far as I can tell it stops ALL junk from appearing on my phone as the only things which appear on my phone are those which I initiate.

It also stops all ads from appearing on my phone other than those which are incorporated within the websites I actually visit.

Other than these 2 things, I don't get any junk or ads.

B33
Legend

The only ad's I see on the mobile Web when i'm on there is when I'm looking in at android central or droid life but I don't do to much surfing on it RC since adobe dropped flash, why i asked too I was on our local new's weather station site and this pop up thing showed and said something about a Virus I immediately moved away from it & so far I haven't seen anything wild on the phone but it was a first to see,  hope never to see it..again either. b

0 Likes
B33
Legend

rc so far so good on the one I have,  and the app you suggested looking back on past threads on here and post on other sites lookout seems to be a top notch.App. I think I will give it a try on my second maxx. see how it does. and let you know..

0 Likes
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

I use Lookout Premium (used to use the free version which worked perfectly). I went Premium because it covers up to 5 phones and backs up Pictures etc... which is good for my son. The Free app protects the phone perfectly and is fully functioning. I have used Avast in the past as well as AVG and Mcaffee and Avira. Lookout is by far much better then the others. Almost no overhead where the others slow down my phone a lot.

B33
Legend

Hey good morning Jake thanks for the suggestion.. I was kind of wondering on that and the only way to find this stuff out is to put it too use and try it.. so we'll see what it does, How much does it cost.if it's ok to ask.. you can send that dm if you'd rather do it that way..

0 Likes
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

If I remember correctly it is 29.95 for two years and covers up to 5 devices. It also has features to locate the phone, lock the phone or wipe the phone remotely