Simple "App Store" Question
DMacL

I have an ENV Touch now and really hate that I have to go through the Verizon App Store and pay something like $49.99 to buy a Tetris game for unlim. use (or $9.99/month).  I am looking at upgrading to one of the Android phones and just wanted to confirm that I can basically go out to the "unaffiliated" Android Community and get free apps or buy an inexpensive app there and not have to go through Verizon's App Store.

Thanks...

0 Likes
Re: Simple "App Store" Question
budone
Legend

Yes there is an option under Menu>Settings>Applications.

You can checkmark a box to, "Allow installation of Non-Market applications"

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

you are correct. i've loaded about 30 apps since i got my htc inc in may. have not paid for ANY. you can go to the official android market and view only the "free" list, or there are many other sights/apps that you can access the apps from. i use appbrain. it's an app but it is linked to it's website, so if you want an idea of what you'll have to look forward to, then google appbrain and go to the site. i also had an env touch. got it when they marketed as the "app friendly" phone. what a joke!!! very few useful apps and they all cost a TON!!! the amount of apps in the android market that are free is INSANE.

0 Likes
DMacL

Thanks folks...

One follow up question just to confirm...  when you are doing all this, you are accessing the net via a cell wireless network as opposed to a 802.11B/G/N type wireless network (e.g., "hot spot") correct?

0 Likes
budone
Legend

I have download apps either way

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

yeah....you can do it both ways. if your wifi is off or disabled, then it's over the 3g network. but you can turn on your wifi and use it that way. i actually never use wifi though, as it drains battery a bit, and i find 3g to be fast enough for me.

0 Likes
fezzik
Contributor - Level 3

This weekend was the first time I downloaded apps over wifi.  It was weird because the wifi was connected to sattelite internet so it has a lag between request and transmission but it is wicked fast downloads.  usually I use 3G and have downloaded an app with only 1X connectivity.  With no problem.  I have yet to pay for an app but there are a few that I might consider at some point.  Very few of them have monthly fees.  The ones that do are generally a free download with a monthly fee discussed somewhere.  If you don't want to pay then when you see that just uninstall.  Shouldn't be an issue.    Generally the ones with fees are from Verizon or connected to a service like some navigators and like Serius radio and the like. 

You don't have to download any of the verizon apps.  Unfortunately some of them are preinstalled and you can't get rid of it. 

0 Likes