Skype and Verizon announce video calling on many of their 4G Android devices
Wildman
Legend

skype.jpg

I have read about this post (http://www.androidcentral.com/skype-and-verizon-announce-video-calling-many-their-4g-android-devices... I am getting confused how this is a good thing, if all carriers are going to limited data plans how is adding video calling on skype goimg to be good for customers when data is going to be a important factor to use this? I am hoping there is some plans to work out a plan that will make this option useful after unlimited data plans is modified.

Anyone else seeing a possible issue hear? :smileysurprised::smileywink:

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Skype and Verizon announce video calling on many of their 4G Android devices
Wildman
Legend

budone wrote:

It has already been announced 4G phones will not have unlimited data. I think that is the point Wildman is making.

Thank is correct and also I am taking in the consideration that if Skype Video Calling option will be mainly supported on the 4G devices and the data is being restricted, how is this going to work out for a user that decides to use this option, because video calling is a bandwidth intensive application and I do not see a user not fly through the allowed data in no time.

Another thing I was wondering how things will go for the cities that LTE isn’t even up and running, are users going to be charged for 4G like Sprint was doing eventho they will not be able to use this feature?  Guess we will have to see….

AZSALUKI wrote:

also...is 584,568kb the equivalent of 5.84mb? i'm trying to figure out my average data use and where it would fall in their new packages. (bare with me.....this sort of stuff IS NOT my thing)

There is 1024 kb in one meg so it will be more like 570 but some like to keep it simple so I would go with 584mg

AZSALUKI wrote:

so help me understand.....i am averaging (what apears to me??) less than a gig per month so i'd be fine with the smallest data package, correct?

If you are only using about a Gig a month then you should be ok with a light traffic plan.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Skype and Verizon announce video calling on many of their 4G Android devices
AZSALUKI
Legend

i thought the limited date was only for broadband, tethering, or hotspot use?? are they doing away with the $30 unlimited for phones? and if so....what if you already have that plan? are we grandfathered in as long as we don't sign a new contract? i'd pay retail price for a new phone (without new contract) and just keep my current plan if this is the case.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

It has already been announced 4G phones will not have unlimited data. I think that is the point Wildman is making.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

boooooooo!!!! so will they let me keep unlimtied 3g for $30/month (as long as i don't get a 4g phone)....because isn't the cheapest plan for 4g going to be $50?

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

also...is 584,568kb the equivalent of 5.84mb? i'm trying to figure out my average data use and where it would fall in their new packages. (bare with me.....this sort of stuff IS NOT my thing)

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

so help me understand.....i am averaging (what apears to me??) less than a gig per month so i'd be fine with the smallest data package, correct?

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

budone wrote:

Thank is correct and also I am taking in the consideration that if Skype Video Calling option will be mainly supported on the 4G devices and the data is being restricted, how is this going to work out for a user that decides to use this option, because video calling is a bandwidth intensive application and I do not see a user not fly through the allowed data in no time.

Another thing I was wondering how things will go for the cities that LTE isn’t even up and running, are users going to be charged for 4G like Sprint was doing eventho they will not be able to use this feature?  Guess we will have to see….

AZSALUKI wrote:

There is 1024 kb in one meg so it will be more like 570 but some like to keep it simple so I would go with 584mg

AZSALUKI wrote:

If you are only using about a Gig a month then you should be ok with a light traffic plan.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

AZSALUKI wrote:

boooooooo!!!! so will they let me keep unlimtied 3g for $30/month (as long as i don't get a 4g phone)....because isn't the cheapest plan for 4g going to be $50?

Phone plans I suspect will be different.

0 Likes