Square barcode and wifi questions
rmbmpd
In reading news about android apps, I sometimes see a sort of square barcode. Can anyone tell me what that is? Also, how can I tell if my Droid is connecting via Wifi or 3g when I have wifi on at home? I turn on my wifi, but i don't see anything that indicates its conected or that I'm web surfing through it.
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Square barcode and wifi questions
PPC_Dude
Contributor - Level 2

rmbmpd wrote:
In reading news about android apps, I sometimes see a sort of square barcode. Can anyone tell me what that is? Also, how can I tell if my Droid is connecting via Wifi or 3g when I have wifi on at home? I turn on my wifi, but i don't see anything that indicates its conected or that I'm web surfing through it.

App_Code.jpg

If something like this is what you are referring to, then yes, it is a barcode, of sorts.  I forget what they actually call it, but if you download an app called Barcode Scanner (I'm sure there are others too), you can scan the code with the app and your camera and it will take you straight to the that apps purchase/download area in the Market or possibly another web link if it's not dealing directly with an app.

If you are connected to wifi, your status bar will look something similar to this:

wifi.jpg

Notice the "fan" shaped icon on the left and the abscence of the 3G icon.  That's the "wifi connected" symbol.

If you are using 3G it will look more like this:

3G.jpg

Edit: In other words, what logicman said.  LOL, I took to long with the images.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
logicman
Contributor - Level 3

They are called QR Codes and can contains links to web sites and other useful info. You need to install an app such as Barcode Scanner to use them. Once installed, just fire up the app and scan the code. 

If you are connected via wi-fi, the 3g icon disappears and is replaced by the wi-fi icon. From the home screen touch Menu->Settings->Wireless & networks->Wi-Fi settings. Touch the appropriate network in the list and you will be able to configure it.

0 Likes
PPC_Dude
Contributor - Level 2

rmbmpd wrote:

App_Code.jpg

If something like this is what you are referring to, then yes, it is a barcode, of sorts.  I forget what they actually call it, but if you download an app called Barcode Scanner (I'm sure there are others too), you can scan the code with the app and your camera and it will take you straight to the that apps purchase/download area in the Market or possibly another web link if it's not dealing directly with an app.

If you are connected to wifi, your status bar will look something similar to this:

wifi.jpg

Notice the "fan" shaped icon on the left and the abscence of the 3G icon.  That's the "wifi connected" symbol.

If you are using 3G it will look more like this:

3G.jpg

Edit: In other words, what logicman said.  LOL, I took to long with the images.

0 Likes
rmbmpd
Thank you both for the information. I guess I'm not connecting to wi-fi at home. When I tap on my home network in the settings (it says remembered, secured with WPA/WPA2 PSK), it brings a pop-up that gives the options connect, forget and cancel. I tap connect, the window disappears, but I still see the 3G icon. I'll try eliminating it and re-doing it. Thanks again.
0 Likes
rmbmpd
Success! I hit forget and re-connected by entering the password and I'm now connected and can see the icon. Thanks!
0 Likes