Stop Facebook from syncing with the Droid's Contact List
Daves_Droid

I have had my Droid for a while, but I am a new Facebook user.  I have found the Droid very handy when I need to carry business data around (I own a small business).  As a result, my Droid's contact list has some sensitive information.  To keep that sensitive info private, I have turned off the sync with my gmail account.

Yesterday, I downloaded the Facebook app upgrade from marketplace.  It seemed fairly good.  However, to my dismay, I found that Facebook was syncing with my contact list.  When the Facebook app was downloaded, I found (that without my permission) Facebook had re-checked the Background sync entry in Settings->Accounts&Sync.  Then, Facebook immediately started syncing with my contact list.

I have since de-installed the Facebook app upgrade, deleted all synced contact list entries, and UNCHECKED background sync on my Droid.  I also verified all contact list information was deleted from Facebook (I hope it was deleted).

I would like to reinstall the Facebook app upgrade & use Facebook from my Droid.  However, I am afraid to do this because I do not want any syncing between Facebook and my Droid contact list.  I would appreciate any suggestions on how to keep my private data private and stop facebook syncing so I can again use Facebook from my Droid.

Doesn't Facebook care about personal privacy?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Stop Facebook from syncing with the Droid's Contact List
TestMan
Enthusiast - Level 3

I can see you concern with you Facebook issue. Here is the rundown. Facebook does ask if they can sync with your contacts upon install of the application, but if for some reason it does not or it was missed follow this pathway. Contacts (as if you were to view you contacts), Select the menu button, select accounts, select the Facebook account, uncheck the green checkmark labeled sync contacts. If that is unchecked it should not sync with Facebook.

I hope this works for you, because what's the joy without Facebook on your phone!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
TestMan
Enthusiast - Level 3

I can see you concern with you Facebook issue. Here is the rundown. Facebook does ask if they can sync with your contacts upon install of the application, but if for some reason it does not or it was missed follow this pathway. Contacts (as if you were to view you contacts), Select the menu button, select accounts, select the Facebook account, uncheck the green checkmark labeled sync contacts. If that is unchecked it should not sync with Facebook.

I hope this works for you, because what's the joy without Facebook on your phone!

0 Likes
Daves_Droid

I have tried this, but I must admit I am unconvinced. 

I have not onlyunchecked the green button next to the facebook account under Accounts & Sync Settings, but I have also deleted that account from my Droid.   I have not noticed any further syncing.

However, Facebook insists on downloading updates to itself without permission.  I have deleted (uninstalled) these updates many times, but they keep coming.  How does someone completely get rid of the facebook pest?

0 Likes
Cobjones
Contributor - Level 1
You can not remove it without breaking your ToU.

If you let it update, then you are less likely to see it. I don't use twitter, but I have it set to auto update, and I have only seen one update notification, it downloaded and I cleared it away.
0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

You should be able to go into the Facebook app

tap menu --> settings --> Sync contacts(Should be at the bottom just scroll down) --> chose an option all/existing/none.

0 Likes
JKramer328a

now everyones talking about the facewbook app for the Droid? Droid2? DroidX? etc.  but dont mention WHICH FACEBOOK App they are talking about... Ive downloaded SIX FACEBOOK APPS AND NONE OF THEM HAVE THE CONTROLS YOU MENTION.

I now have over 600+ contacts in my contacts page... I have to keep scrolling to the left to see my original 13 person contact listing.

0 Likes
JKramer328a

There is a mention of a menu inside of facebook 5 out of the six I downloaded DID NOT have an internal menu to limit contacts. The one that did was extremely limited but no limiting contacts at all. you get all of them.

0 Likes
salle

Thank you so much!  I was just "crusing" the questions, saw this and I had the problem too!  Problem solved and all those names off my contact list!!!

0 Likes
jeffmeister
I have the opposite problem. Does the social app on the Droid 2 only sync your contacts once? My new friends aren't showing up in my contacts. I went into the account settings and selected Facebook but there are no sync options. Is it supposed to sync contacts continually or is it a one time process when you first set up the account on the phone?
0 Likes