Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tethering help
jcflinchum

I need help tethering my phone to my computer for use as a modem.

I have an LG Ally and I have a Dell laptop that runs Window XP.

Other than that I am clueless on this phone and computer.

Can anyone help me out?

0 Likes
Re: Tethering help
AZSALUKI
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

i am fairly certain that it's a service that you have to pay for and download software to the laptop to use. not positive....but that's how i thought it worked?

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

google [edit for TOS violation]....looks like a new app to do this for android phones???? it's on the market (free)

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

i meant to put (free) to "try"

0 Likes
fezzik
Novice

On the market there are three that I know of, easytether (which I have not tried), Proxoid(which I also have not tried but looks like it would be easy enough), and {Keep it Legal} which works well. {Keep it Legal} is $30 (app purchase not a subscription) if you want to go to secure websites.  Easytether is cheaper.  None require rooting or anything more weird than installing a program on your computer.  Also by nature of accepting apps on the Market and Verizon's stated policy of any device any app on the network with an astrisk of something like from an approved vendor or something.  These are perfectly acceptable coming from the Android Market. 

If the Ally gets it (which it should but who knows when) Android 2.2 is supposed to have it built in. 

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

fezzik.....i guess what we are discussing is in violation of our terms of service....lol. not only did we get cesored.....but i got a personal message warning me not to discuss illegal activity? so although these apps are available directly from the market (for which they preload the link to on our phones), AND you pay for them.....it apparently violates our agreement w/vzn. this is also why i can't possibly see vzn allowing 2.2 to be released to vzn customers with the tethering ability???

0 Likes
supitsmike

AZSALUKI wrote:

fezzik.....i guess what we are discussing is in violation of our terms of service....lol. not only did we get cesored.....but i got a personal message warning me not to discuss illegal activity? so although these apps are available directly from the market (for which they preload the link to on our phones), AND you pay for them.....it apparently violates our agreement w/vzn. this is also why i can't possibly see vzn allowing 2.2 to be released to vzn customers with the tethering ability???

QFT.

If they wanted to, they could block all these 'illegal' applications. T-Mobile did it before to one of the most popular tethering applications.

0 Likes
Not applicable

It's this simple.  Verizon charges $30 for unlimited telephone data and $60 for 5 GB of computer data.  They don't want you using your $30 telephone data for your computer.  Who could blame them?

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

i don't blame them and i get why they do it. there just seems to be a bit of confusion when you see people talking about 2.2 hotspot capablitiy and they advertise that the htc inc has tethering ability. i'm sure i'm naive, and i know the great thing about android is the open market. i just didn't realize that i could so easily download an app that was in violation of verizon policies. or that i'm not even to discuss it on their forum? that's all.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Verizon has no control over what apps are available, but they do have control over what we talk about here.

0 Likes