Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Text Messaging alternative apps?
emilynicol2

Does anyone out there recommend any free apps that provide texting through an app without actually having to use standard text messages? I know I can do it through the Google Voice app, but I was wondering if there were any other apps out there. Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Re: Text Messaging alternative apps?
Jax_Omen
For what you want (texting without using SMS, but having the recipient receive it as an SMS), Google Voice is the only option I'm aware of.

If the recipient is another Android user you could always just email their gmail account: those are delivered in real time and would be roughly equivalent to texting...

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Wildman
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

Handcent is one of the more popular app used by users...

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.handcent.nextsms&feature=search_result

0 Likes
Jax_Omen
For what you want (texting without using SMS, but having the recipient receive it as an SMS), Google Voice is the only option I'm aware of.

If the recipient is another Android user you could always just email their gmail account: those are delivered in real time and would be roughly equivalent to texting...
0 Likes
Ann154
Expert
Expert
Or Google Talk aka Gtalk can be used to send "text messages" to another person with a gmail address. I use this a lot instead of true text messaging.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Wildman
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

I misunderstood the explanation, I just thought the wanted another app than the stock one, my mistake.....   Google Voice will probally be the best option.

0 Likes
DroidudeAZ
Novice

Anyone have any experience with GoSMSPro? I've been using it for about a week and I like it so far.

0 Likes
Jax_Omen
I use GoSMSPro, although I found that I prefer using it with the "pro" features disabled, as regular GoSMS >_>
0 Likes