Trying to set up email using the Mail app
entractiv

I just brought a droid and I am trying to set up my email using the mail app.  I have put in my email's mail server address and used outgoing.verizon.net as the outgoing.

It brings in my email just fine but I can't send anything out.  I get a message saying Connection Error when trying to send.

Does anyone have any ideas? 

Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: Trying to set up email using the Mail app
tonloc3
Enthusiast - Level 3

Are the email accounts yahoo, hotmail, roadrunner? 

0 Likes
TheGreatOne
Master - Level 1

tonloc3 wrote:

Are the email accounts yahoo, hotmail, roadrunner? 

I use yahoo email on my G1. I get connection error sometimes, but doesn't affect my emails in sending or receiving. Do wonder why it says connection error.

0 Likes
entractiv

The email that I use is actually Lotus Notes.  You can set it up with a pop3 client like Outlook on a computer and it works just fine so I figured I would be able to use the Mail app on a Droid.

If you are doing it on a computer you have to put the incoming server as the mail server of where I work but the outgoing is your ISP's mail server address.

I tried using outgoing.verizon.net as the outgoing server and it lets the mail come in but it will not let me send anything at all.  Message is "connection error."

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

The server outgoing.verizon.net requires you to authenticate with verizon.net credentials in order to use it. Make sure that you have it set to authenticate with your verizon.net username and password.

0 Likes
entractiv

**bleep** question but the verizon.net username and password -- is that what I log into my account on the web with -- like where I can see my bill?

0 Likes
entractiv

Also, is that the correct outgoing server address to use? Should I be using a different one?

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

In order to have a verizon.net username and password, you have to have a Verizon Online account for internet access. (FiOS, DSL, dial) If you don't have a VOL account (if you are a wireless-only customer) then you don't have access to the verizon.net email servers.

If you are a VOL customer, then your username and password should be what ever you use to log in at http://www.verizon.net

If you are not a VOL customer, then you either need to become one, or find a different outgoing server to use. (I recommend getting a free Gmail account and using their SMTP server.)

Hope this helps!

0 Likes
entractiv

Any ideas on where I can find another outgoing server to use?  I have talked to an agent at Verizon and they have no idea.  I would really like to have access to my work email though the Droid.  I have a Gmail account too but I would like to keep the two seperate.

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

Using your Gmail account's info for the outgoing server will not cause any mail to go into your gmail account. think of it as using FedEx (Gmail) instead of UPS (Verizon or any other ESP) to deliver your package (email). There's no lasting impact on FedEx, you just used their delivery service temporarily. Or you could create another gmail account specifically for relaying your work mail if you really want to. Since they're free, you can have as many as you want. :smileywink:

0 Likes